Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

DCI obviously, but junior corps have been around since 1935. and your point is? 

Seniors started big after WWI with army surplus bugles and drums. Few Boy Scout and church corps before mid 1930s and then American Legion started Sons of the American Legion for their kids. This included sports teams and drum corps which started big Jr growth.

Just trying to fill in some historical data...

8 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Share with me and help me understand this statement. Kids don’t have the money but use this circuit as a stepping stone to DCI. They actually have the money or not? 

With weekend warrior mode they can work during the week which helps the money situation. And believe All Age is cheaper but no idea how much.

6 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Share with me and help me understand this statement. Kids don’t have the money but use this circuit as a stepping stone to DCI. They actually have the money or not? 

Sure. Ful tour for DCI can be up to $5000, not counting camp fees, travel costs to camp etc.

Most DCA membership fees are what $1000 tops at least in the NE, more in the other regions, but I haven't see anything close to $2k yet. So ok, I can pay says $1500 tops, work all week in the summer to pay that off or put money aside for DCI, get training from many people that have taught and marched in DCI and several more may still do both....and then next year try out for a DCI corps with that extra knowledge and the opportunity to have saved up cash to help pay for it? Sure.

My last year marching in DCA was 1996. In that corps, I am going to guess that probably 25 members did DCA, went and marched some DCI, then came back to DCA. Several kids in that corps later went on to march in DCI. many of them came back to DCA later too. A few of them went on to teach for years in DCA and DCI, with one still teaching a top 6 DCI corps....and got his start as annoying 15/16 year old baritone player in the DCA World Champions. 

Many DCA corps had this for  several years...kids came in, learned, went to DCI, then came back after. Now, not as many come back ( tho Bucs recently posted a cool picture of everyone there with their DCI corps jackets on).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

senior corps now all age longer. your point? the explosion in junior corps happened after 1946 when many evertans came back from WWII and started them.

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Jaw dropping the year I saw them live... something to do with Egypt show with lot of body movement to accent the show

That was 2012 -- my first time attending a DCA show was that year's finals. I went because (1) I'd enough read enough positive comments here to want to test what I'd been told 20 years earlier about the inferiority of the senior circuit (so yay for DCP! thanks to this forum, DCA got a regular championship customer (and I dragged a friend along one year) and the all-age corps got someone who's bought a fair number of t-shirts) and (2) I'd attended my first DCI finals a few weeks earlier and been very disappointed, partly because it was, overall, a down year for DCI but largely because the sound in Lucas Oil is every bit as bad as they say if you're not sitting in the right place. (I next attended DCI finals in 2016, having bought tickets from a DCP member who has a block of great seats he purchases as a "Friends of DCI" member, and had a wonderful time.)

After the first couple Class A corps, I was wondering if I'd made the right choice, but things started to pick up, and the entertainment value just grew and grew. And then Kidsgrove performed, and it was the highlight of my evening. Even if the corps who performed afterwards were technically better, they were superfluous to me. I was sated after "Valley of the Kings".

3 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Perceived value vs cost. Either way it’s about the experience. 

And if you can’t afford it, there ain’t no experience....

s/ guy who grew up lower middle class blue collar

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

senior corps now all age longer. your point? the explosing in junior corps happened after 1946 when many evertans came back from WWII and started them.

I’m confused with what any of this has to do with the colossal issues many stated. It’s either not working or everything is fine! 

9 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Oh I was only responding to your comment about DCA emulating DCI:

"To me it appears this DCA organization is trying to emulate that which already exist (DCI) just to accommodate a small percentage of people over the age of 22, and attempt to do so with little or no operating capital and very few staff."

I don't think DCA is doing much different than they've ever done. Rather it seems that what they've always done may not be enough to sustain the activity, but, as you noted, they lack the resources to do more.

• Like 1