NJ/LI/PA DCA central site (where?)

Just a brain exercise after seeing comments in the will DCA be around thread. If DCA would be all PA, NJ, CT (missed Hurricanes in title) and Long Island where would a good site be in the middle of this area.

And yes not including WS, CT, and a few others just for sake of discussion.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Princeton University in NJ has a great stadium.... and no Ivy League football on Labor Day weekend.  Lots of hotels nearby, two major airports reasonably close (Philly and Newark, plus a smaller one in Trenton) and Nassau Street in Princeton is awesome... restaurants, pubs, etc.

But unfortunately, the parking situation there is not good. Some sort of shuttle system would be needed. Plus several streets near the stadium might have to be all but shut down to accommodate corps vehicles. And that isn't easy.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Princeton University in NJ has a great stadium.... and no Ivy League football on Labor Day weekend.  Lots of hotels nearby, two major airports reasonably close (Philly and Newark, plus a smaller one in Trenton) and Nassau Street in Princeton is awesome... restaurants, pubs, etc.

But unfortunately, the parking situation there is not good. Some sort of shuttle system would be needed. Plus several streets near the stadium might have to be all but shut down to accommodate corps vehicles. And that isn't easy.

I have not heard of outside activities like marching band being allowed to use the Princeton stadium. 

Close to Princeton (which is indeed a nice stadium with terrible parking,) is the stadium at TCNJ in Ewing. USBands used to run the Central Jersey Regional there; the band I taught went there each year. 

There are lots of great restaurants in Princeton on Nassau  St, Witherspoon St and Palmer Square.

Rt 1 has tons of hotels and restaurants as well. 

Edit: Both of the stadiums noted are close to I95/I295.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I have not heard of outside activities like marching band being allowed to use the Princeton stadium. 

Close to Princeton (which is indeed a nice stadium with terrible parking,) is the stadium at TCNJ in Ewing. USBands used to run the Central Jersey Regional there; the band I taught went there each year. 

There are lots of great restaurants in Princeton on Nassau  St, Witherspoon St and Palmer Square.

Rt 1 has tons of hotels and restaurants as well. 

Edit: Both of the stadiums noted are close to I95/I295.

Yeah... DCA would have to find a wealthy alum with a drum corps background. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yeah... DCA would have to find a wealthy alum with a drum corps background. LOL.

Princeton U has an alumni parade called the P-rade each spring, billed as the "biggest sloppy parade in the world". It starts on Nassau by the arches onto the ca Yompus and winds its way down the hill to the bottom.

Each 5-year anniversary class has to provide some sort of music/entertainment unit. The 25th anniversary year leads off the parade. The band I was taught from 94 through 2017 almost always marched for a class. Both my son and daughter marched it several times in their HS eras.

I marched it in Garfield in 1970, which made it neat for me to have both my kids march it decades later.

I marched it during the height of the anti-military hippie era. We got off the buses in our Cadet unis....you can just imagine the reception we got on a campus like Princeton! You would have thought our buses had run over all of their cats or something!   😲  It was as if we were aliens landing from Mars.   

We started to warm up with our opener, Gounod's "Queen of Sheba", which went over as well as you might expect. Our DM then had us play our Peace Sign drill number, "White Rabbit"....the students who were looking at us with disgust all of a sudden started to groove to the tune..needless to say, that was the ONLY tune we played that day!  😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TCNJ's got a nice-sized venue with good parking. Kessler Field at Monmouth U in West Long Branch is another one.

4 hours ago, Galen said:

TCNJ's got a nice-sized venue with good parking. Kessler Field at Monmouth U in West Long Branch is another one.

I beat you to the TCNJ suggestion...it is a great venue.   😀

Monmouth U would be good, except in the summer the Jersey shore might be tough to navigate, traffic-wise. On the plus side,  there are many nice restaurants in the area, plus of course the beach for those who want to partake.

It’s important to regularly consider new locations for Championships well ahead of needing an alternative. No problem there. My observation is, at this time, DCA has yet to maximize revenue potential at Williamsport. Certainly, the weather hasn’t helped. But, it appears too many seats are going empty regardless. The advance sale this time was absolutely dreadful. Primary focus for the next two years should be change things up in marketing Williamsport.

Clearly, to me anyway, Labor Day Weekend no longer works. Also, I believe, ticket pricing is too high to attract new fans. Time to be creative with the two outer seating areas.

• Like 1