New World-Class Criteria

17 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That might be our DCA days talking, Jim.  LOL.  The Executive Committee there. They have some leeway to step in from time to time regarding procedures/rules... but it's the member corps that propose and vote.  The member corps voted to approve the DCA 35-member minimum back in what.... 2007 I think it was? 

2007 sounds right to me too. I’m clueless on how management is set up in either circuit. Hades I’m still trying to move my brain from tick system to Box whatever today.🥵

Thats I ask so #### many questions here... 😛

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

2007 sounds right to me too. I’m clueless on how management is set up in either circuit. Hades I’m still trying to move my brain from tick system to Box whatever today.🥵

Heh... as I continue to ease my way out the "active involvement" door,  I am becoming more clueless than ever.  And that's OK with me. :tongue:

Bit of a different setup on the DCA side compared to the DCI side, from what I understand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok fair enough. You have stated that DCI only counts members DCI week and others have said differently. Either way nothing in the rules has been stated here if that is in the rules.

My main point was you have stated DCIs intent on some of the rules and sounds like you are making the statements based on knowledge and not just IYO. That’s why I think/thought you have more info than most of us. At least I haven’t seen IMO in your posts regarding this.

and yes Deep State I consider snark, but DCI executive board sounds legit to me. 

Ahh, THIS is your mistake.  No, I didn't.  Someone else may have but not me (again, please point it out because I'd be clearly wrong).  I know that they can and have and might count at regionals, and even randomly at TEP shows.  I think it's reasonable to think they have a system of checking in place and that, if they needed obvious beefing up of resources, Dan would ask for the funds, or authorization to command it, from his BoD.

HOW they do it, so long as they do it, is much less important than why they're doing it.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:48 PM, garfield said:

This is kind of, well, silly isn't it?

To the New Member:  "Hey, we need and survive on volunteers.  Tell your parents."

To the neighbors where the corps resides, to the schools in the neighborhood, to the wider drum corps fan base at large:  "Hey, come volunteer at our drum corps.  We need and survive on volunteers."

Which if the above has the greatest chance of getting the volunteer executive, governance, and staff bodies needed to sufficiently handle all of the requirements of running an OC drum corps, when those OC drum corps themselves are being pushed to compete in size and game with WC?  (EDIT: fixed the question mark, but the answer is obvious...) 

Move up rank.  Get more kids.  More kids equals an immediate source for highly interested (albeit relatively short-term) volunteer help.

Pioneer is not only an example that the 55-rule is not a guarantee, it is also not an example of how to effectively do it.  There are many better examples and DCI is now mandating that every OC corps have a "Buddy" to help guide and mentor them into moving up-ranks.

but this info posted does nothing to show it's enforced for grand fathered in WC corps, especially the financial side.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, garfield said:

Yes, I feel your cynicism.  It can overcome me, too. 

But reality is that it is 17 years later and, more significantly, the Pied Piper   Music Man (heh!) who led those efforts as well as led the G7 (some say down the toilet) 9 years ago is no longer around.  And, it's reasonable to think that the directors have learned as a group and, as a result, in their DCI voting decisions, to be more thoughtful on what is passed and implemented.

Some of the precepts of the G7 "vision", packaged in a better way and in a different wrapper are worth discussing again.

the pied piper was a front because everyone knew he could take the heat for opening his mouth

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Really?  This is ridiculous.

"Deep State"?  Who, exactly, do you think this is?  "Arbitrary"?  What makes you believe this?

Hashtags?  #GetaGrip  #QuitMakingThingsUp

You're watching too much politics.  #It'sBAND

it may be band, but you got many people making their livliehood on band

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

i am still trying to figure out if there's ANY management in DCA period

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it may be band, but you got many people making their livliehood on band

Yes, which can pollute the judging (I'm NOT saying it has) in several ways.  That makes "follow the money" particularly sage advice when looking at things.

29 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ahh, THIS is your mistake.  No, I didn't.  Someone else may have but not me (again, please point it out because I'd be clearly wrong).  I know that they can and have and might count at regionals, and even randomly at TEP shows.  I think it's reasonable to think they have a system of checking in place and that, if they needed obvious beefing up of resources, Dan would ask for the funds, or authorization to command it, from his BoD.

HOW they do it, so long as they do it, is much less important than why they're doing it.

Not sure at this point either and not worth going back and rehash so *shrug*.

Not sure what resources need to be beefed up. Corps looks around the minimum mark so head judge (or DCI equivalent) does a quick head count as they come to the field. Lot easier than checking for over the maximum.

Wish I could remember which DCA judge I saw counting one show. Looked like he was just looking over the corps but his right index finger kept flipping up and down with each head he counted. Then the finger stopped moving and he walked away. My head count showed about 40.

Edited by JimF-LowBari