Sign in to follow this  
Skeletor '96

2019 DCI Review #1 - THE CAVALIERS

Recommended Posts

I got my 2019 DVDs earlier this week and watched the first disc at least a dozen times already.  I thought I’d give my reviews of the top 5 one at a time and see what anybody thinks.  First the Cavaliers:  I was amazed at how much progress we’ve made compared to the last several years.  The new uniforms were a shock, but probably overdue at this point considering today’s DCI norms.  The Don Warren patch was wonderful and I loved the politically incorrect guy sucking the cigar at the beginning.  Talking to Don in 2003 was one of the coolest conversations I’ve had in my life - what a funny, down to earth guy.

The 2019 program had some great, intense music throughout.  I think the props and backdrop were entirely ineffective though, and distracted from the show.  The best visual moments were the rifles being violently thrown far backfield at the end and the mass collapse.  What’s with the Scottish narration – it really distracted a mostly great show.  Good drill is hard to come by these days, but the Cavies were above average for 2019.  Did I see we beat Blue Devils in brass???  Amazing – keep it up guys – a medal in the near future is a strong possibility.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

I got my 2019 DVDs earlier this week and watched the first disc at least a dozen times already.  I thought I’d give my reviews of the top 5 one at a time and see what anybody thinks.  First the Cavaliers:  I was amazed at how much progress we’ve made compared to the last several years.  The new uniforms were a shock, but probably overdue at this point considering today’s DCI norms.  The Don Warren patch was wonderful and I loved the politically incorrect guy sucking the cigar at the beginning.  Talking to Don in 2003 was one of the coolest conversations I’ve had in my life - what a funny, down to earth guy.

 

The 2019 program had some great, intense music throughout.  I think the props and backdrop were entirely ineffective though, and distracted from the show.  The best visual moments were the rifles being violently thrown far backfield at the end and the mass collapse.  What’s with the Scottish narration – it really distracted a mostly great show.  Good drill is hard to come by these days, but the Cavies were above average for 2019.  Did I see we beat Blue Devils in brass???  Amazing – keep it up guys – a medal in the near future is a strong possibility.

Scottish, Irish, what's the difference. eh? 😎

And yes, they beat BD in brass at Finals (and at several other points in the season).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoking a cigar is politically incorrect now?  I must not have been paying attention.  Or maybe I’m misunderstanding. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Smoking a cigar is politically incorrect now?   

Might not have been lit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my favorite cavies show of the decade.  wish they would've had another week to clean up the visual.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lance said:

my favorite cavies show of the decade.  wish they would've had another week to clean up the visual.

💯 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Smoking a cigar is politically incorrect now?  I must not have been paying attention.  Or maybe I’m misunderstanding. 

In the DVD, a corps member is shown with a cigar in his mouth, like Don Warren always had.  I think it is definitely politically incorrect to show a very young man, influential to teenagers, using a tobacco product!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Scottish, Irish, what's the difference. eh? 😎

And yes, they beat BD in brass at Finals (and at several other points in the season).

 

Really?  Still sounds more Scottish to me.  What's with the plaid then?

Edited by Skeletor '96
misspelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

Really?  Still sounds more Scottish to me.  What's with the plaid then?

The dialects are related, but still very distinct. Look up the film "Gangs of New York" for the rest of the design cues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

Really?  Still sounds more Scottish to me.  What's with the plaid then?

Ummm...the theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.