If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

10 hours ago, year1buick said:

So my previous question seems to have been passed by but I’m still really curious about it so I’ll ask again. How much lead time do show sponsors and corps need to set the summer schedule? If the reopening of large spectator sports keeps getting pushed back, what’s the least amount of time DCI needs to put all of those pieces into place? Or, do they just plan away with the hope that it’s all worked out by next June? And, if they do, and it isn’t worked out, wouldn’t that be doubly disastrous? I’m just having a hard time understanding how the offseason planning is going to work in this environment.

well as we saw, at least March

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Suppose DCI can't have a 2021 season.

What can corps do to survive that long?

DCI has long touted its educational value.

Are there distance-learning activities that corps can offer?

For that matter, can they do so now, to stay in touch with members (or potential members)?

lots of zoom sessions happening

7 hours ago, Bob P. said:

No, "have a real chance to be" does NOT "limit" nor "modify" the meaning of any of the statements following, therefore is not a qualifier.  But since you seem to want to have the last word about semantics, you win! 

This is not mere semantics.  Words have meanings.

There is a difference in meaning between saying "have a real chance to be" vs. simply "is" or "are"... yet people are lighting their hair on fire over that misinterpretation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Has DCI ever held a show in this stadium?

EV6ypNlXQAAzMqV?format=jpg&name=small

Its seating capacity is about 39,000, which is approximately the number of Americans who have died of COVID19 since the first death 50 days ago.

Yes; the MTSU Show that's usually held on the Friday night prior to the SE Championships in ATL has been moved to Vanderbilt in downtown Nashville a couple of times due to construction/turf installation on the MTSU Campus in Murfreesboro.  (Parking & logistics were a major issue as I recall.  One warm up area was on a side street.)  It was also moved to Tenn Tech in Cookeville one year where it started raining on The Cadets & you know who shut their show down.  (Of course, that was in one of the first years of electronics; he got booed as no one cared for him or his new equipment.  A few fans were actually were heckling him in the stands.)  They were able to restart after the rain stopped.  

P.S.  Pioneer was at the show in Cookeville & had a small Casio Keyboard.  It was pretty cheesy due to it sounding like a small Casio Keyboard.  (I know, I'm sure that's all they could afford.  But sometimes, less is more.)  

Edited by keystone3ply
correction
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Cappybara said:

160 South Koreans have tested positive for coronavirus AGAIN after already having it once. Seems like the virus is capable of mutating pretty quickly or has some advanced survival mechanisms that allow it to stay dormant. 

Does not spell good news for DCI until a vaccine becomes widely available. 

Does not spell good news for a return to normal life anytime soon either. South Korea’s efforts to reduce the spread of the virus have been far superior to ours.

There is a huge chance that a vaccine will never be available. AIDS still out there without a vaccine. 

Normal is coming just like "winter, Death, and taxes".  

DCI might not come back and some shops, stores and sports might not ever make it back. 

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ahhh “that guy” who runs the daily briefings was pushing it for days.... (was hoping what I put in quotes would be a clue without crossing the line). then the shorter older guy with glasses would start talking about needing more testing...

edit: imo this is why the hydro... bandwagon started in the first place

But I don't remember anyone mentioning no more testing that you just use one drug and that is all you need. 

I do remember more than a few media experts telling me that if you take it (which I already do) that you could die and it was dangerous. what was that all about? 

While in the Marine corps we took anti malarial drugs all the time. We were in Philippines / Thailand / Cambodia, other places where the jungle could kill you. I never saw anyone drop dead from using the stuff.  

I'm all for things that might work, regardless of who suggest the validity. 

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Went around the world at least twice. Like I posted before not sure if people who recovered from it earlier caught it (in mutated form) again. 

I have a book on it. But I have not read it in a very long time and since I am a Dino that book might have been tossed out on my last move. Remembering some info from it but do not believe from my recollection that it circled back to the same communities. It's spread was from the troops of world war 1 as you mentioned. When those soldiers came back to Kansas they did not cause that place to have a second round. 

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I don’t read tweets, my info comes from the daily briefings. Emergency use was not brought up that I remember. It was more along the line not understanding why the doctors didn’t start giving hydrox... to a lot more people.... now.  Nothing was said about which class of patients this was meant (good chance of recovery, little chance, etc).

Again I have no problem testing any med to see if it would help. But imo the daily briefs were saying hydrox... would help so much without anything to back up that claim. Fine line between keeping up people spirits (cheerleading to use a phrase) and raising false hope imo. It’s the crossing into what might be false hope is what I am against. Hope it does work but we need to look at the current situation bluntly...

They had the French doctors info (he must be a quack). I saw the picture of him on that article that NE posted and he does look suspect with all that hippie hair. :sarcasm:

They lady from Michigan that claimed it saved her life is also probably a paid advertiser? 

If someone does confirm good treatment protocol for this crap then it will give some hope that things like DCI / corps / bands can get back to rehearsals / camps etc. Otherwise we are in for some long days debating uniforms / judges / electronics. 

2 minutes ago, E3D said:

But I don't remember anyone mentioning no more testing that you just use one drug and that is all you need. 

I do remember more than a few media experts telling me that if you take it (which I already do) that you could die and it was dangerous. what was that all about? 

While in the Marine corps we took anti malarial drugs all the time. We were in Philippines / Thailand / Cambodia, other places where the jungle could kill you. I never saw anyone drop dead from using the stuff.  

I'm all for things that might work, regardless of who suggest the validity. 

I’m for testing to see if things work too. 

As for danger some people have had irregular heartbeats while taking. Every med has side effects so just have to make sure someone taking it can handle it. Again I say try it but be careful in checking side effects.

As for first sentence i didn’t hear anyone say this was the only drug needed. But what I remember was hearing it should be widely prescribed and why weren’t doctors doing this. Day after day after.... Followed by a doctor saying they were testing the med but we’re not sure yet how well it would work on Coronavirus. 

6 minutes ago, E3D said:

They had the French doctors info (he must be a quack). I saw the picture of him on that article that NE posted and he does look suspect with all that hippie hair. :sarcasm:

They lady from Michigan that claimed it saved her life is also probably a paid advertiser? 

If someone does confirm good treatment protocol for this crap then it will give some hope that things like DCI / corps / bands can get back to rehearsals / camps etc. Otherwise we are in for some long days debating uniforms / judges / electronics. 

I never posted about any of these things so why are posters throwing this crap in my face time after time???? Yesterday I kept saying I was not against using hydrox.. but kept reading that I didn’t want it given to anyone. NOT true but didn’t matter...

ALL I said was the med was being pushed really hard at the daily coronavirus briefings by the person leading the briefings. I disagree with a non-medical person pushing a med while real medical people are saying they are not sure yet. Has a real chance of false hope which imo could hurt. PERIOD!

Just tired of this ####. If anyone is going to discuss or argue something, make ####### sure you read it right or don’t twist my words....