If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

Just now, cixelsyd said:

They are essentially summer camp for advanced marching arts.

But right now, it is still the school year.  And most of the educators for DCI corps have school jobs to which they owe first allegiance.

Makes me wonder whether band directors will lose their jobs in the fall, if that activity has to be halted for a while.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Makes me wonder whether band directors will lose their jobs in the fall, if that activity has to be halted for a while.

And what about that?  I think it is sufficiently on-topic to consider whether there will be a fall 2020 marching band season... and if so, what adaptations it must go through.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

... so that the FDA would approve an emergency use authorization, which (among other things) would tap into the Strategic National Stockpile to address the previously mentioned concern about increasing demand for the drugs, which doctors were already prescribing before "that guy" said anything.

The full context matters, even if it does not fit into a tweet.

I don’t read tweets, my info comes from the daily briefings. Emergency use was not brought up that I remember. It was more along the line not understanding why the doctors didn’t start giving hydrox... to a lot more people.... now.  Nothing was said about which class of patients this was meant (good chance of recovery, little chance, etc).

Again I have no problem testing any med to see if it would help. But imo the daily briefs were saying hydrox... would help so much without anything to back up that claim. Fine line between keeping up people spirits (cheerleading to use a phrase) and raising false hope imo. It’s the crossing into what might be false hope is what I am against. Hope it does work but we need to look at the current situation bluntly...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was NOT responding to HD. So the post you quoted had NOTHING to do with using the med with people in risk of dying. Actually if I was at that risk I would volunteer to try it. If I didn’t make it then at least I contributed something.

I was talking about people saying that the med is a “game changer” and should be put into wide spread usecwithout further testing.

I didn’t think you were quoting HD, I thought you were providing, as you said, “one final word on hydrox”.  

Unless you meant the cookies, I stand by my statement.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I didn’t think you were quoting HD, I thought you were providing, as you said, “one final word in hydrox”.  

Unless you meant the cookies, I stand by my statement.

Thin mints baby, thin mints.... 😜

Just trying to steer closer to on topic (which I didn’t follow myself lol) and couldn’t think of a good way to put it).

And seriously I hope my last few posts have cleared up that I am not against the testing. Only disagree with saying the med can do so much good without more testing

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And what about that?  I think it is sufficiently on-topic to consider whether there will be a fall 2020 marching band season... and if so, what adaptations it must go through.

Way it’s going there is a question if fall sports (iow football) will happen. Know some big time competition bands don’t always care about that but has to have an effect too

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

By that logic, why not call every antiviral drug a potential game changer, pump it into people (because hey, it might work, right?) and see what sticks?

Please re-read my post and either explain how in the name of all that’s holy it advocates doing that, or acknowledge that it does nothing of the kind.  

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Please re-read my post and either explain how in the name of all that’s holy it advocates doing that, or acknowledge that it does nothing of the kind.  

You said people are most concerned about whether a drug is worth trying to treat COVID-19.

Hydroxychloroquine is an anti-viral drug (among other things) with little to no substantive evidence to suggest it does anything to treat COVID-19 other than hearsay and sketchy studies. 

I took the logical leap for you, that if the concern is whether a drug is worth trying, and actual substantive evidence really isn't much of a concern (it apparently isn't with hydroxychloroquine), then might as well try out a bunch of anti-viral drugs because they have about as much evidence of efficacy of treating COVID-19 as any other anti-viral drug.