Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

2 minutes ago, Continental said:

Referring to Spanish Flu - wasn't it the second wave that was the most deadly?  I think it even had a third wave.

Yep according to The Great Influenza by Barry. 2nd wave was the killer and no real consensus if there was a 3rd or more wave. After the big one it hit here and there in batches. And was the killer because it mutated which scares me more than anything with CV

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What I’m seeing is any reporting of the worst case scenario, be it possible or not, is fear mongering and never should have been done. So I read slam slam slam but what I DON’T read is opinions on what should have been done. Monday morning quarterbacking in the afternoon..... 

As for the negative extreme as you put it: I’ve seen ranges given from worst to best. Are you saying the worst part of the range should not have been given so people will come out of their basements

No, I'm saying mention and plan for the best - even your notion of best - with as much vigor as planning for the worst.  Just that and nothing more.

Want an example?  What is the ENDING time frame for the mask mandate where you live?  A month?  Six months?  No one says.  "Until we say so."

By and large, the typical news cycle reporting would scare away any attempt to plan beyond this afternoon, so it would take someone with vision and guts and sensible planning to be best-positioned no matter what the eventual outcome of CV is or how it does or doesn't affect drum corps.

I'm glad to know first hand that optimism is a considerable part of the current planning even as I'm concerned about rumors of divisions and "non-correlated risks" among corps.  I think the fan base, and maybe DCP specifically, would do well to adopt a more optimistic tone that focuses less on death, shut-down, and demise even as they plan for other scenarios.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’ve seen best and worse figures given but not what I was asking. You mentioned goal for number of ventilators was too high. I’m asking how do you think they should have picked a needed number of ventilators and other equipment. If you think they did it wrong let’s hear your thoughts.

Have heard whiskey tango foxtrot from some of the young Naval officers  I sat near. Usually heard it after the phone hit the cradle. Thud... whiskey... tango.... foxtrot.... ughhh

Well, someone must have exercised some "expertise" in coming up with 40,000!  Why does the opponent to such waste have to come up with a better plan than the one in place?? 

How about "BE MORE ACCURATE!"?  That's my better way.

But, again, it takes no effort at all to be pessimistic, especially when so many exhibit it.

The fact is that something like 30,000 of those requested (and delivered) machines were not used, the demanded hospital ship was not used, the field hospitals set up by the military were not used.  At what point in the complete butchering of the "professional estimates" does one start to say we need new estimators instead of demanding a better plan from those who are opposed to our waste and ineffectiveness?

Can we PLEASE stay on subject?  This rehashing of guilt is just so darn frustrating.  I'm tired of guilt-shaming already.  Can we PLEASE look forward to something positive in drum corps to talk about?  Does EVERY conversation here have to end up being a political and personal blame game?

Can we please talk about the F-ing drum corps activity instead of the freaking mayor of NY?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, I'm saying mention and plan for the best - even your notion of best - with as much vigor as planning for the worst.  Just that and nothing more.

Want an example?  What is the ENDING time frame for the mask mandate where you live?  A month?  Six months?  No one says.  "Until we say so."

By and large, the typical news cycle reporting would scare away any attempt to plan beyond this afternoon, so it would take someone with vision and sensible planning to be best-positioned no matter what the eventual outcome of CV is or how it does or doesn't affect drum corps.

I'm glad to know first hand that optimism is a considerable part of the current planning even as I'm concerned about rumors of divisions and "non-correlated risks" among corps.  I think the fan base, and maybe DCP specifically, would do well to adopt a more optimistic tone that focuses less on death, shut-down, and demise even as they plan for other scenarios.

Garfield I was only talking about reporting numbers. How you read that as planning for the future is beyond me. Especially as regards dci

I think that WGI can go forward with a season much the same as professional and high school sports have. 

Drum Corps International has the opportunity to carpe diem the crap out this crisis, be the one that leads the way back and sets the example.

Leadership and vigor and optimism and vision are cast in the teeth of the crisis, in people thrown into the fight to save the day. 

If the confluence of right events is unfolding, the right people in the right place at the right time might just be able to Make Drum Corps Great again.

If they don't chicken out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, someone must have exercised some "expertise" in coming up with 40,000!  Why does the opponent to such waste have to come up with a better plan than the one in place?? 

How about "BE MORE ACCURATE!"?  That's my better way.

But, again, it takes no effort at all to be pessimistic, especially when so many exhibit it.

The fact is that something like 30,000 of those requested (and delivered) machines were not used, the demanded hospital ship was not used, the field hospitals set up by the military were not used.  At what point in the complete butchering of the "professional estimates" does one start to say we need new estimators instead of demanding a better plan from those who are opposed to our waste and ineffectiveness?

Can we PLEASE stay on subject?  This rehashing of guilt is just so darn frustrating.  I'm tired of guilt-shaming already.  Can we PLEASE look forward to something positive in drum corps to talk about?  Does EVERY conversation here have to end up being a political and personal blame game?

Can we please talk about the F-ing drum corps activity instead of the freaking mayor of NY?

If you don’t want us talking about anything but drum corps... why don’t you do the same????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Garfield I was only talking about reporting numbers. How you read that as planning for the future is beyond me. Especially as regards dci

OK, Jim, here's your text.  It was about numbers tangentially, but it was really a challenge to those who believe differently to put up a different viewpoint of how it was to be done.  NOT "just numbers".

"...I’m asking how do you think they should have picked a needed number of ventilators and other equipment. If you think they did it wrong let’s hear your thoughts."

...and I told you my thoughts.