Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If you don’t want us talking about anything but drum corps... why don’t you do the same????

Because I'm answering your question first, then trying to pull the convo back to OT.

Remember?  You said I wasn't answering your questions.  And when I do...  Uggh.

Move on.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually I saw that early on. I saw (want to picture Fauci but not sure) saying something like “if no steps are taken... high number... but what we expect is around... smaller range given”. 
What I am seeing in your posts are accusations that only the worse case was given and nothing else. If I’m mistaken let me know.

No.

What I am saying is that their idea of "worst-case" was based on a preposterous scenario of conditions that could never occur.

As for giving that impossible if no steps taken number. You see if as inducing fear. I see it as giving us info on how serious things really are. No different than a doctor telling a patient “if don’t stop smoking....”.

Some individuals actually do not quit smoking, even when confronted by their own doctor or with publicly available evidence of the dangers.  That can happen.

Conversely, our nation as a whole has enough scientifically conscious people and/or germophobes to guarantee a tangible response to a pandemic at some point before the 2,200,000 death toll is reached.  This is proven by the extent to which people socially distanced, ramped up hygiene, and stocked up on toilet paper prior to any government advisories to do any of those things (and back when the death count had no commas, IIRC).

Edited by cixelsyd

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

OK, Jim, here's your text.  It was about numbers tangentially, but it was really a challenge to those who believe differently to put up a different viewpoint of how it was to be done.  NOT "just numbers".

"...I’m asking how do you think they should have picked a needed number of ventilators and other equipment. If you think they did it wrong let’s hear your thoughts."

...and I told you my thoughts.

Yes you did tell me thank you. And e3d gave a response as well. And to be clear my point was NOTabout thinking differently. It was some people pointing fingers that someone else is wrong without being brave enough to give their own two cents. For example had a project leader who wanted 2 plus 2 equals 4 answers on things that only estimates were possible. And surprise surprise when the estimate was not spot on he would make an ### out of you. If you ask his estimate “well that’s not my job”. Just #### sick and tired of crap like that. Yeah I admit to that bias. See it a lot in the outside world more than here. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Because I'm answering your question first, then trying to pull the convo back to OT.

Move on.

I didn’t read all the responses before my replying... my bad...

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

No.

What I am saying is that their idea of "worst-case" was based on a preposterous scenario of conditions that could never occur.

Some individuals actually do not quit smoking, even when confronted by their own doctor or with publicly available evidence of the dangers.

Conversely, our nation as a whole has enough scienifically conscious people and/or germophobes to guarantee a tangible response to a pandemic at some point before the 2,200,000 death toll is reached.  This is proven by the extent to which people socially distanced, ramped up hygiene, and stocked up on toilet paper prior to any government advisories to do any of those things (and back when the death count had no commas, IIRC).

Ok I’m reading your response better thanks. Not arguing but wonder what the counts would be if a segment of the population had NOT been scared into doing the right thing. Not saying it’s right, just brainstorming.

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Move on.

DCI could be out front right now indicating guidance for possible housing solutions. I can think of a few. WGI can do this no problem from what I can see with sports.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hey weatherman said it would be nice but now it’s raining. I’m going to make a sign saying he should be fired and stand in front of the tv station..... sound familiar?

If predicting the Covid were similar to predicting the weather, we'd have percent chances backed by scientific computer calculations with hundreds of years of historic data.  What we got were "novel" opinions affecting the entire globe with no, zero, not a lick of the data the weathermen have at their disposal.  History based on, literally, 100 years ago.  Pfft.

What, in God's name, made us think we could predict this event's either "best" or "worst" case?

Drum corps should just motor ahead full speed until it's clear to stop.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, E3D said:

I think that WGI can go forward with a season much the same as professional and high school sports have. 

How are fall sports doing out your way? Central PA has a real mix of plan for a delayed opening (week or so) to fall sports in the spring. Some in the same conference which is really making a muddle.

###### I’m missing Friday HS football on the cable.... funny when it’s the stadium so close I can see the lights from the house

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

If predicting the Covid were similar to predicting the weather, we'd have percent chances backed by scientific computer calculations with hundreds of years of historic data.  What we got were "novel" opinions affecting the entire globe with no, zero, not a lick of the data the weathermen have at their disposal.  History based on, literally, 100 years ago.  Pfft.

What, in God's name, made us think we could predict this event's either "best" or "worst" case?

Drum corps should just motor ahead full speed until it's clear to stop.

Agree with novel and “who the hell knows” (had to throw in a blue collar dad quote) 😜

As for DCI full speed ahead but have those plan Bs thought out “just in case”

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree with novel so “who the hell knows” (had to throw in a blue collar dad quote) 😜

As for DCI full speed ahead but have those plan Bs thought out “just in case”

Yes, of course.  This is, by definition, acting from a position of positive conviction with preparation for the worst, not the other way around

Because of the long lead time to create a DCI summer, that effort has to be first because pulling the plug takes only hours by comparison.