Phantom Regiment 2022

its not enough to just play loud...its how you play loud (and soft for that matter)  Tone quality, blending in with the rest of the line, musicality, intonation, dynamics are important!!!!

Edited by brians
  • Like 4

Good morning all! Well, here's my take on my beloved corps. This is the best thing they've done since 2012 by far however, the design is still NOT what is going to score them points with the judges. There is a noticeable lack of narration (even though I hate narration), the props are minimalistic (even though I'm not a fan of props), even the use of synths seems tame by today's standards. Five years ago, this may have been a top 6 or 7 show. Today I see it as 10th at best. 

Unfortunately, the story telling is left to the imagination however, perhaps there is a plan to add narration to it at some point. You know, talking about life's journey and that no matter how far we stray, or how difficult the path, there is always a place to call home. I envision a voice-over of Dorothy saying, 'there's no place like home, there's no place like home'. Okay, that last part was a little bit of sarcasm.  

OUT!

• Like 2

Just now, Rocketman said:

Good morning all! Well, here's my take on my beloved corps. This is the best thing they've done since 2012 by far however, the design is still NOT what is going to score them points with the judges. There is a noticeable lack of narration (even though I hate narration), the props are minimalistic (even though I'm not a fan of props), even the use of synths seems tame by today's standards. Five years ago, this may have been a top 6 or 7 show. Today I see it as 10th at best. 

Unfortunately, the story telling is left to the imagination however, perhaps there is a plan to add narration to it at some point. You know, talking about life's journey and that no matter how far we stray, or how difficult the path, there is always a place to call home. I envision a voice-over of Dorothy saying, 'there's no place like home, there's no place like home'. Okay, that last part was a little bit of sarcasm.  

OUT!

Narration is not necessary for a successful show. Plenty of championship shows in recent years have won without it. I agree that the use of the props is lacking

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I'm not sold on narration being the answer, but I've long found that the best Regiment can seem to do on sound design is, for lack of a better description, "ethnic moaning." They've been using it for years, and they continue that tradition this year. An effective use of electronic sound that didn't involve narration was 2018 SCV (the Babel-esque languages) - something more sophisticated than <insert moan during transition>.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like I said, I don't care for narration however, it appears that those that use it to a greater degree are being rewarded for their efforts. More so than Regiment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I'm not sold on narration being the answer, but I've long found that the best Regiment can seem to do on sound design is, for lack of a better description, "ethnic moaning." They've been using it for years, and they continue that tradition this year. An effective use of electronic sound that didn't involve narration was 2018 SCV (the Babel-esque languages) - something more sophisticated than <insert moan during transition>.

Ethnic moaning?  How about just "moaning?"

58 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

OUT!

Welcome back Rocketman!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

You know, talking about life's journey and that no matter how far we stray, or how difficult the path, there is always a place to call home.

Has there ever been a narration-driven show theme in drum corps that wasn’t trite and insipid like this?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Like I said, I don't care for narration however, it appears that those that use it to a greater degree are being rewarded for their efforts. More so than Regiment.

BD has about 30 seconds of voiceovers and I’m not sure that those could really be considered “narration” as it is mostly an incomprehensible voiceover meant to set the mood. And they are projected to be in 1st or 2nd right now. It is not the amount of narration, it is how you use it. And phantom does not really use it very well