Phantom Regiment 2022

1 hour ago, SJugster said:

I think their perc score will cause them issues this year from getting a top 6 finish (i hope im wrong).

I agree that the new wave might be on us to put PR back to where they used to be in the early 90s but the percussion scores and staff are going to hold them back IMO.

The percussion book is....agressive. That being said it's not currently well staged or written against the backdrop of the overall ensemble. There are only so many Rennicks in the world after all. 

What I have noticed is the front ensemble. Every viewing I have had, the front ensemble is almost tearing from the brass in exposed moments. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, college-phan said:

I was hoping that having Shaw back as brass arranger would push Ferguson to arrange differently and more aggressively, kind of like what happened with Rennick when he joined Phantom in 2003, but I sadly don’t think that’s the case. Ferguson arrangements are cool, don’t get me wrong, but it just seems like they’re not effective in maximizing points

The battery seems young to me. Maybe not so much age wise but vibe wise. I'm not sure of how many returning vets they have in that battery but it will take a season or two for them to really gel. I think the success of the '07 and '10 battery were a combination of some fantastic Rennick writing ('07 was just tasty. Not overly difficult but MAN was it tasty,) and an experienced battery that had been together. 2010 also had an absolutely STACKED front ensemble. 

I still feel like the front ensemble is not quite gelling with the full corps. Something is off especially when they are exposed. They almost seem...hesitant. Maybe an experience thing and maybe not. Again, I don't know how many vets they have. 

I have heard several people discussing that the battery has too many notes and just plays constantly with no real ebb and flow. It’s just too much. I agree with that. Sometimes silence - or at least being more reserved at times - speaks louder in music than a constant wall of sound. 

I agree with the comments about front ensemble. It feels like they have a recipe that dates back to Swan Lake that has never changed. The ensemble is better than the writing. 

Finally, dittos on color guard. Not only is the movement and visual design a “C,” I don’t believe they are getting the instruction necessary to play with the big boys. It has been sloppier each year, and I don’t blame the guard. Silk and rifle movements that are out of sync is an indication of poor instruction. I don’t hate the props, but you can see on the faces of the guard members that they are spending too much time moving the tray tables and not enough time on meaningful expression of the message of the show. 

All that said, in case any MMs are reading, I am so proud of what you are doing the last couple of years. I can’t wait to hear your next show, and count the days to the next one each time. It’s fun to be a Phan again, and I am so proud of all of you. The future is very bright, including 2022. Thank you for all your hard, hot work. 

• Like 1

Oh, and tubas, I love watching you ruining up the middle during the Mahler. Geez oh Pete!!! Not sure how you do that, but I clap and laugh every time. Keep on keeping on!

It is interesting seeing posters dissect the corps and the show. In 2019 Phantom squeaked into finals and there was some concern during the summer that they might miss the Saturday show. This year they appear to be on their way to a solid top 10 finish.

That is a big step up in this age of DCI. It is hard to beat the corps ahead of you. In my opinion the Cadets, Blue Stars, and Mandarin are all noticeably better than they were three years ago. It is almost impossible for a corps who finished well below them at the last judged finals to move ahead of them this year unless they had a fall off in quality. They did not. 

It is a good thing for Phantom if they improve a couple places in 2022 over 2019. They may need to make a few changes to continue to rise, but we can talk about that after Indianapolis. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Phantom placing solidly in the finals is a definite upswing and good direction.  There's going to be areas to continue to improve but this a very welcome turn for the better.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

It is interesting seeing posters dissect the corps and the show. In 2019 Phantom squeaked into finals and there was some concern during the summer that they might miss the Saturday show. This year they appear to be on their way to a solid top 10 finish.

That is a big step up in this age of DCI. It is hard to beat the corps ahead of you. In my opinion the Cadets, Blue Stars, and Mandarin are all noticeably better than they were three years ago. It is almost impossible for a corps who finished well below them at the last judged finals to move ahead of them this year unless they had a fall off in quality. They did not. 

It is a good thing for Phantom if they improve a couple places in 2022 over 2019. They may need to make a few changes to continue to rise, but we can talk about that after Indianapolis. 

I'd say folks on DCP set some unrealistic expectations after the first show. I was reading "TOP SIX FINISH!!!" on here when that was just never in the cards.

• Like 1

Just now, kdaddy said:

I'd say folks on DCP set some unrealistic expectations after the first show. I was reading "TOP SIX FINISH!!!" on here when that was just never in the cards.

Agree. Can’t we just appreciate that they’re putting out an awesome show without caring how it’s stacking up to others? As long as they score high enough to where I get to watch them Saturday night in the stands, it’s all good. Great year for Phantom!

• Like 3

When Boston did a 'barely made finals' to 6th place jump going from Quixotic to Wicked Games it was largely the result of a massive infusion of new design staff and implementation of a plan to do that overhaul that'd been in the works from their board for a number of years.  

As a placement jump it was almost unheard of and jaw dropping.

Phantom certainly brought in a good number of staff overhauls since 2019 and they've had some time to work on design and used last year's rewind show as an opportunity to get the instruction part of things ironed out and signal to recruits, "we mean to be back in the game...join us."  But it didn't seem quite on the level of Boston's overhaul.

So a placement jump from 'I dunno..maybe next year is the year the miss finals after all these years' to 'solidly in and pushing toward the top half' is definitely something to get excited about.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RContra said:

Agree. Can’t we just appreciate that they’re putting out an awesome show without caring how it’s stacking up to others? As long as they score high enough to where I get to watch them Saturday night in the stands, it’s all good. Great year for Phantom!

If you get really excited about 1996 and 2008, you will know the answer. Yes! It’s fun when they medal. There’s no shame in admitting that. But you don’t medal without being compared, and you don’t stay world class either. I love comparing them. Getting to watch them Saturday night is based on their comparison to others. There’s no difference in this discussion and any other sport. And, there’s nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1