Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

16 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It could work if:

1. DCI had the teeth to make decisions that impacted a corps season (and beyond) to include termination of staff and member contracts

2. The member corps were willing to give up the power to solely self police (which is why HR in corporations is completely separate from operations and hold sole discretion in cases where policies are violated)

3. A disciplinary panel is created by which decisions can be made and all sides are given the ability to speak to reported breaches in conduct 

4. An officer independent of the member corps (it certainly would take several people in this position) is assigned to oversee mandatory compliance and is available to staff, MM's and volunteers (as well as being available to answer questions from parents) 

5. That officer has the ability to temporarily suspend a member, volunteer, staff member or entire corps if needs be for the purpose of membership protection pending a VERY timely investigation

Seems HUGE. And yet, many of these things are part of our daily lives at work and we don't blink twice at them. There ARE ways to make it work. The member corps and DCI simply need to be aware of the cost involved in NOT taking these steps.

And again....I ain't holdin' my breath.

I’m still looking at this with the thought that any penalty given a corps will also hurt DCI. That has to be at the very least in the back of the mind of anyone connected to DCI. So how much is DCI willing to hurt itself when giving out penalties.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The NFL owners hired a commissioner (Goodell) to make & enforce decision that they didn't want to make themselves for the good of the business.   The DCI Corps could give DCI, DA, or whomever the authority if they wanted to.  

If they wanted to.

Exactly! And there in lies the problem. Just because nothing has never come up for Corps X does not mean that nothing has happened or that nothing could happen. The corps can still police itself but there has to be a backstop that takes the next step IF the corps cannot fulfill their duty to the members, staff etc. 

And like....I get it. I once got a little miffed back in my early days that a senior training manager was sitting in on my meetings for my trainers. I considered it to be "micro managing" of some fashion. The whole attitude of "I got this....you don't have to look over my shoulder" took me years to get past. But I get it now. Accountability comes from the top down and not the bottom up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well Jim, having known you most of your adult life, you're just confused in general 🤣

You seem to know me very well… have we met before 🤪 😆

for everyone else… since late 70s (marched with Jeff’s dad) and go to same church…

4 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Spirit has been un-invited to host their camp at Atlanta Academy this weekend.  

I’m not sure how Spirit will be able to host any camps this year at school facilities. There are multiple folks who will notify the school of these incidents and probation status with DCI.  I believe it took one email to Atlanta Academy for this weekends camp to be cancelled.  

If you were planning to march Spirit this summer, I would find another corps ASAP.     

Can't say I'm surprised.

Is SoA blaming the un-invite on the probation, or on covid?  Blaming it on covid could be a convenient way to deflect scrutiny 

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m still looking at this with the thought that any penalty given a corps will also hurt DCI. That has to be at the very least in the back of the mind of anyone connected to DCI. So how much is DCI willing to hurt itself when giving out penalties.

Good point Jim. I think it depends on if they want to continue to survive. The more these things come out and people see that there are no penalties, the more erosion occurs for support of the activity. Sometimes you just have to play the long game. 

EDIT: Want to clarify something before it gets taken out of context. What is going on is not a game. What I mean by the statement can best be summed up in an experience.

Way back when...like 12 or so years ago, I hired a staff of 15 trainers. For a call center the size of mine (1200 agents maybe,) that was a big staff. The client decided to save some money and push the final 3 months of classes for the year into the beginning of the following year. They essentially added about 15 classes to an already packed schedule. Rather than playing the long game and being allowed to keep my staff (which would be dead weight to the bottom line for 90 days,) I was forced to term all but 4 of them. I fought and fought but lost. Bottom line, the next year came around, I didn't have the staff to train the numbers that the client needed and the entire contract was pulled. 

You MUST think forward beyond what's directly in front of you. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Good point Jim. I think it depends on if they want to continue to survive. The more these things come out and people see that there are no penalties, the more erosion occurs for support of the activity. Sometimes you just have to play the long game. 

Should have said I’m a cynic which explains lot of my comments on this…

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

In other words, DCI believes the pain from fixing the problem exceeds the pain from ignoring the problem.  At some point this will flip.  And by that time the pain could easily be fatal to DCI. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In other words, DCI believes the pain from fixing the problem exceeds the pain from ignoring the problem.  At some point this will flip.  And by that time the pain could easily be fatal to DCI. 

Exactly correct. The perceived pain outweighs common sense. In other words, DCI has the dumb and can't brain.

• Like 1

I haven't heard any response. I'm sure they're in scramble mode.

24 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Spirit has been un-invited to host their camp at Atlanta Academy this weekend.  

I’m not sure how Spirit will be able to host any camps this year at school facilities. There are multiple folks who will notify the school of these incidents and probation status with DCI.  I believe it took one email to Atlanta Academy for this weekends camp to be cancelled.  

If you were planning to march Spirit this summer, I would find another corps ASAP.     

You reap what you sow. 

• Like 2