Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

We're human. Perception can drive reaction as opposed to response. It happens. I told someone recently that it's kind of like the old phrase "pushing my buttons." Imagine that all of your past negative interactions create a button. Stupid, ugly, weak etc etc etc. We wear those buttons on our chest. And when someone presses one of those buttons, it's closer to our mouth than it is to our brain and we speak before we step back and think. 

I battle it every day. That's why I have a "save as draft" folder to type all of my unsavory responses into before I light someones world on fire.

Yep to perceptions. If one of the regular flame experts here had made the post that offended BrassTeacher I wouldn’t have thought anything of his reply. But have never seen Kathy made any nasty posts about anything. I read (perceived) her post as coming from a lack of knowledge and not as a slam. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yes I see how my words could be taken as insulting. 
What offended me was assuming the worst from someone and slamming for a perceived insult Instead of informing them how they were mistaken. Too many memories of asking valid questions to contractors and getting insulted to my face because I was “too stupid to see how great the product was”.

And capitalizing NOT and EDUCATED was meant for emphasis and not as an insult.

Fair enough. 

I forgot to mention earlier, but there is an additional, separate policy and procedures manual in addition to the district policies linked that is in place by the instrumental music division. It is not available online, and is a 3-inch-thick binder. A fair amount of it clarifies district policy as applied to instrumental music-specific conditions. It also puts additional, sometimes more strict than district policy, items and procedures in place. 
I am no longer "official", so I do not have a copy at home to scan.

• Like 1

Imagine if we were reading something like this rather than the current cluster xxxx. We would be hailing Spirit as a leader in the activity for providing a safe environment for their members.

“The policies and training we put in place in 2018 to protect our members worked. Because of those policies a member was able to report an incident to a trusted staff member and the problem was promptly addressed.” The Spirit of Atlanta BoD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not going to speak for Kathy but in my case it’s not confusion but lack of knowledge. So I asked and only got a bunch of heat and list of items of what teachers should not do with students. What was missing was looking for and reporting abuse which your post mentioned. Of course this is a big part of dealing with abuse.

Folks some of us are NOT educators so we need to ask in order to find out. At least we are taking the effort to find out. Is it too much to ask not to be insulted when we ask to be EDUCATED?

Every state has its own laws on mandatory reporting, so it is not possible to get a blanket statement on what public educators are expected to do from that perspective.

Even within a state, I have seen school districts implement policies differently, based on what the district board of education sets up as their own preferences.

My own example...I became a substitute teacher in two school districts here in NJ in 2018. Both followed state requirements on getting certified, of course. Both required me to get training on a variety of topics from the ones being discussed here to other areas impacting students. One made us do it every year via online training/testing; if you did not take the training, they removed you from the approved list. The other district only mandated it the first year, in person at the board office. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It could work if:

1. DCI had the teeth to make decisions that impacted a corps season (and beyond) to include termination of staff and member contracts

2. The member corps were willing to give up the power to solely self police (which is why HR in corporations is completely separate from operations and hold sole discretion in cases where policies are violated)

3. A disciplinary panel is created by which decisions can be made and all sides are given the ability to speak to reported breaches in conduct 

4. An officer independent of the member corps (it certainly would take several people in this position) is assigned to oversee mandatory compliance and is available to staff, MM's and volunteers (as well as being available to answer questions from parents) 

5. That officer has the ability to temporarily suspend a member, volunteer, staff member or entire corps if needs be for the purpose of membership protection pending a VERY timely investigation

Seems HUGE. And yet, many of these things are part of our daily lives at work and we don't blink twice at them. There ARE ways to make it work. The member corps and DCI simply need to be aware of the cost involved in NOT taking these steps.

And again....I ain't holdin' my breath.

remember DCI is the member corps. so 1&2 pretty much cancel each other out

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Can't say I'm surprised.

Is SoA blaming the un-invite on the probation, or on covid?  Blaming it on covid could be a convenient way to deflect scrutiny 

well depending on how the next 4 minutes of football go, they may try to blame that

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In other words, DCI believes the pain from fixing the problem exceeds the pain from ignoring the problem.  At some point this will flip.  And by that time the pain could easily be fatal to DCI. 

i had this thought tonight...let's say an issue comes up that involves legal action. Does DCi then try to distance themselves from the corps? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anomaly said:

Verified?

from https://spiritofatlanta.org/calendar/

Call Back Camp - ALL Brass and Percussion

WhenJan 14 – 17, 2022
WhereTBA (map)

more details»  copy to my calendar»