Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, And Safety

When Phantom Regiment formed its first Equity Committee nearly 2 years ago, it was tasked with identifying and addressing equity-related issues and systemic bias in the organization. Since that time, the Phantom Regiment organization has committed significant time and resources to push the findings and recommendations of this committee forward. Read the ret of the […]

View the full article

19 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Is this really necessary? Drum corps these days take anyone with a pulse and ability to follow through with the financial obligation. If you haven't noticed there are holes at EVERY corps in almost every section.

No idea what the environment is within corps. Just because there are openings doesn’t mean everyone would feel comfortable joining a group, so they don’t bother. Have seen it with other kinds of organizations.

9 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Yes. It's REALLY necessary. 

1 hour ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

But why

Because EVERY corps needs support in every section where there is a need. We can’t abandon the basic tenets of what this activity represents despite the bad press the activity has received recently. Learn from mistakes and move forward, because at the end of the day/season, many MMs come out being major contributors in whatever career choice they decide to pursue because of this amazing opportunity. Let’s take a moment and celebrate this. I do…every day!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Because EVERY corps needs support in every section where there is a need. We can’t abandon the basic tenets of what this activity represents despite the bad press the activity has received recently. Learn from mistakes and move forward, because at the end of the day/season, many MMs come out being major contributors in whatever career choice they decide to pursue because of this amazing opportunity. Let’s take a moment and celebrate this. I do…every day!

I still don't understand. Maybe it has to be spelled out for me. There are no barriers of entry regarding race or sexual orientation, only the tuition costs. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I still don't understand. Maybe it has to be spelled out for me. There are no barriers of entry regarding race or sexual orientation, only the tuition costs. 

As welcoming as DCI is, racial diversity has not been one of its strong points. I don't know if "barrier" is the right word.

14 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Is this really necessary? Drum corps these days take anyone with a pulse and ability to follow through with the financial obligation. If you haven't noticed there are holes at EVERY corps in almost every section.

yes it's very necessary, and abuses in the past are part of why there's some holes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

It is not just about physical barriers of entry. With all the crap that has been uncovered in DCI over the past few years, starting with my own corps, that should give you a pretty good idea of why this is needed. Inclusion is also about making people feel welcome, respected and cared for, in that they don't have to worry about being harassed or treated unfairly. Just because YOU haven't seen anything happen does not mean things are rainbows and unicorns. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3