Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, And Safety

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

That you decided to dismiss it as mere "woke bs" indicates you're not really concerned about examples. If you truly are interested, lose the incorrect definition of "woke" and maybe you'll find someone who's willing to educate you on it. Otherwise, you just seem to come off with the thinking that as long as YOUR experiences are great, you really don't care much about diversity. 

Still no concerte example of diversity being disallowed or even unwelcome in drum corps. Thanks for the response though I guess 🙄 

28 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Still no concerte example of diversity being disallowed or even unwelcome in drum corps. Thanks for the response though I guess 🙄 

I guess you haven’t been following the threads for the last several months. 

44 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

So if you don’t have any examples sticking out like a sore thumb then there really isn’t a problem? It doesn’t have to be corps not wanting diversity. If people don’t feel they would be welcome and don’t bother to look into joining that is a problem also. And the corps might not even be aware there is a problem, but it’s a problem all the same. But you’d have to know the people who don’t bother to try and they’d have to trust you enough to tell you.

Perhaps the corps is looking into the issue to see if there is a problem and what to do if found. It’s called being proactive.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

39 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

How about this:

https://podbay.fm/p/bluecoats-brass-podcast/e/1592193600

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I skipped to a random moment in the podcast because I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe something racist has gone on at some point. Instead it was some guy attributing not getting a drum major position to racism, when in fact it was because he was unreliable when it came to paying tuition. Ridiculous! This is why I don't take your claims at face value

• Confused 1

In my experience, one of the hardest things in dealing with a problem is when people can’t admit there can be a problem. Especially since it hasn’t happened to them or anyone they know. 

Done with this “you prove it to me or there isn’t a problem” crap…

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I skipped to a random moment in the podcast because I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe something racist has gone on at some point. Instead it was some guy attributing not getting a drum major position to racism, when in fact it was because he was unreliable when it came to paying tuition. Ridiculous! This is why I don't take your claims at face value

Maybe don’t skip to random moments and actually invest some time to listen to the whole podcast. 

I turned to a random page in Moby Dick and discovered the book is about tying sailor’s knots.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

I don't understand some of these comments.  Is somebody actually accusing a particular corps of racism? Or is because there don't seem to be many African American corps members? If so, do we also assume the NHL is racist for the same reason? I've been around the activity more than 40 years, and I have never seen any hint of racism.  Or does somebody think we should accuse the Mandarins of racism due to their preponderance of Asian members in the past? That would be just as ridiculous.  Drum corps want to be competitively successful, and they will fill their memberships with the very best members they can, regardless of outside factors.  As a matter if fact, I don't think I can name any activity which is and has been as inclusive as drum corps. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

I don't understand some of these comments.  Is somebody actually accusing a particular corps of racism? Or is because there don't seem to be many African American corps members? If so, do we also assume the NHL is racist for the same reason? I've been around the activity more than 40 years, and I have never seen any hint of racism.  Or does somebody think we should accuse the Mandarins of racism due to their preponderance of Asian members in the past? That would be just as ridiculous.  Drum corps want to be competitively successful, and they will fill their memberships with the very best members they can, regardless of outside factors.  As a matter if fact, I don't think I can name any activity which is and has been as inclusive as drum corps. 

Thank you I completely agree. You expressed my feelings better than I ever could.