Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, And Safety

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I don't understand some of these comments.  Is somebody actually accusing a particular corps of racism? Or is because there don't seem to be many African American corps members? If so, do we also assume the NHL is racist for the same reason? I've been around the activity more than 40 years, and I have never seen any hint of racism.  Or does somebody think we should accuse the Mandarins of racism due to their preponderance of Asian members in the past? That would be just as ridiculous.  Drum corps want to be competitively successful, and they will fill their memberships with the very best members they can, regardless of outside factors.  As a matter if fact, I don't think I can name any activity which is and has been as inclusive as drum corps. 

I think  Drum corps is a very inclusive world for quite some time now.  Others hopefully are weeded out or given an opportunity to learn and grow, Hopefully

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Still no concerte example of diversity being disallowed or even unwelcome in drum corps. Thanks for the response though I guess 🙄 

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I don't understand some of these comments.  Is somebody actually accusing a particular corps of racism? Or is because there don't seem to be many African American corps members? If so, do we also assume the NHL is racist for the same reason? I've been around the activity more than 40 years, and I have never seen any hint of racism.  Or does somebody think we should accuse the Mandarins of racism due to their preponderance of Asian members in the past? That would be just as ridiculous.  Drum corps want to be competitively successful, and they will fill their memberships with the very best members they can, regardless of outside factors.  As a matter if fact, I don't think I can name any activity which is and has been as inclusive as drum corps. 

It's clear that neither of you really understand the meaning of being inclusive. I do not believe ANYONE is accusing drum corps of being racist just as no one accused people in drum corps of being sexual predators. But some people who have marched drum corps have not had the same feeling as others and because you have never seen nor experienced it, does not mean it doesn't exist. And because you choose not to open your mind and understand why certain people feel the way they do is indicative of how much of a microcosm the drum corps community is of this country. There is no point trying to make people understand another point of view because many people just dismiss it as ridiculous, etc. 

You two specifically need to read the article below and maybe understand just ONE point of view. I assure you, there are many people who feel the same way. But then again, you've proven it is pointless to even try to convince you otherwise or educate you on another point of view. I've finished responding to this discussion. 

https://dci.org/news/mandarins-ricardo-brown-you-have-to-be-better-to-be-considered-equal-to

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

You have any example other than cavies excluding girls of discriminatory practices? This just seems like more MASIN woke bs

I suggest you scroll through probably now hundreds of posts in the very forum. then you'd be woke to reality

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

To be honest, 99% of "all the crap that has been uncovered in DCI over the past few years" has been about sexual abuse.  If there is also a general activity-wide problem with racism, then it would be fair to describe it as "covered up" at this point.

it's not all sexual abuse. there's quite a bit thats come out ( not necessarily on here) about all kinds of discrimination. Not just race but gender and identity too.

• Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's clear that neither of you really understand the meaning of being inclusive. I do not believe ANYONE is accusing drum corps of being racist just as no one accused people in drum corps of being sexual predators. But some people who have marched drum corps have not had the same feeling as others and because you have never seen nor experienced it, does not mean it doesn't exist. And because you choose not to open your mind and understand why certain people feel the way they do is indicative of how much of a microcosm the drum corps community is of this country. There is no point trying to make people understand another point of view because many people just dismiss it as ridiculous, etc. 

You two specifically need to read the article below and maybe understand just ONE point of view. I assure you, there are many people who feel the same way. But then again, you've proven it is pointless to even try to convince you otherwise or educate you on another point of view. I've finished responding to this discussion. 

https://dci.org/news/mandarins-ricardo-brown-you-have-to-be-better-to-be-considered-equal-to

This article is suggesting that the reason a 16 year old kid who was just starting drum corps was put on third trumpet part because of racism? 

Edited by Smug Trumpet Guy

It's the "Soup du jour" and although no one wants it to be political....it is because that's what the country is about today. The soup of the day will change.

In education, every 10 years, someone comes out with something new and all the school districts rush out to get it. 

If change needs to be made in DC then Cavaliers need to open up to women! Now I am old school (started marching in the 1970's). Today the discussion is Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Safety. 10 years from now what will be the problem with DC?

Good thing most drum corps don't rehearse like some here think we should deal with Inclusion and diversity. If the judges didn't specifically say you had some intonation issues, is there nothing to fix? I guess since nobody provided evidence of an intonation issue, the corps doesn't have to waste any time working on intonation.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

It's the "Soup du jour" and although no one wants it to be political....it is because that's what the country is about today. The soup of the day will change.

In education, every 10 years, someone comes out with something new and all the school districts rush out to get it. 

If change needs to be made in DC then Cavaliers need to open up to women! Now I am old school (started marching in the 1970's). Today the discussion is Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Safety. 10 years from now what will be the problem with DC?

Companies and govt agencies have been dealing with inclusion  (just a new term far as I can tell) for decades so this is not the latest “fad”. It goes along with getting rid or harassment (sexual and otherwise) and other things that keep people from being part of a group or hold them back. 
IMO thanks to a lot of bad press (surprisingly no lawsuits yet) corps are finally realizing they need to address the issue. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stepping away from drum corps to give a real life example of where diversity and inclusion was used. Hoping an example helps people to understand the terms better.

Was in college and started working life in IT ca 1980. Back then everyone “knew” that sciences were for men as women just weren’t cut out for unemotional thinking. Started with IT agency with couple of hundred people and about 10% female and could count the minorities on one hand. And any thinking of a female supervisor in an IT shop was something to laugh about.

Then people began to push STEM for girls in school and… duh… they can do that science stuff too. The thinking in a lot of areas had to change about females in sciences but it’s a world of difference. 

When I read people putting down looking at diversity in any area I think of the changes I’ve seen.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1