Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

On 5/24/2022 at 7:27 PM, crownisking said:

Texas transplant here. Whataburger is overrated. Don’t shoot the messenger. Just saying what needs to be said. DQ is the better option for various reasons and it’s just as popular here. 

I respectfully disagree. I'm a Mr. Hamburger guy myself lol

• Thanks 1

I'm excited to hear the new SCV brass. Very curious what Evan VanDoren delivers. Personally I loved JD's book from 2019, but I'm not surprised that the higher ups wanted a fresh sound. We can bet on top notch battery and percussion, we can bet on outstanding drill and visual design (tarps and highlighters notwithstanding).. now just gotta hear those horns. 

As for the visual team shakeup I'm not concerned. There's still a ton of local talent on staff.

18 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I respectfully disagree. I'm a Mr. Hamburger guy myself lol

Never heard of that place. Do you know if they have any locations in the DFW Metroplex? Dallas is more known for chain and franchise restaurants. 

16 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Never heard of that place. Do you know if they have any locations in the DFW Metroplex? Dallas is more known for chain and franchise restaurants. 

Lol it's a local burger place in Huntsville. It's very good. Creepy logo, but good burgers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Lol it's a local burger place in Huntsville. It's very good. Creepy logo, but good burgers. 

mr-hamburger.jpg

• Haha 1

So.... is "Something in the Way" going to be the ballad this year? I'd put money on it. 

6 hours ago, valjean said:

So.... is "Something in the Way" going to be the ballad this year? I'd put money on it. 

will it have a horn snap?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

will it have a horn snap?

For the sake of the trumpets' third valve slides I hope not. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 6:30 PM, valjean said:

I'm excited to hear the new SCV brass. Very curious what Evan VanDoren delivers. Personally I loved JD's book from 2019, but I'm not surprised that the higher ups wanted a fresh sound.

See I dunno, SCV 2015-19 (especially ‘17 onward) were already such a fresh sound, to me — they hit that peak where the brass style was very recognizable as current SCV, and it simply grew more forward-thinking over his time there. It felt like they found a way to combine the dark, complex sounds of the Bartok/Devil’s Staircase/etc era and meld it with the fan-friendliness of Scheherazade 2 / Les Miz / etc. (which was the beginning of JD’s tenure there, no?) I feel like I’m in the minority (with you) when I say this, but I think ‘19’s music program was absolutely phenomenal, minus maybe the ending.

I’m not WORRIED, but if he was fired that’d be disappointing. If the reasons for his firing were because of the usual bad behavior, PR hopefully wouldn’t have snatched him up so quickly. 

ps … do NOT let these west coasters trick you all into thinking In n Out is good … It’s so so so subpar. Respect your tastebuds. Don’t let evil win. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2