The Academy 2022

Very concerning, but I'll wait for more facts before pulling out the credit card with a donation to the corps as a whole. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It seems like the main issue is coming from those with dietary restrictions (vegetarians) who are being fed nothing but PB&Js. One person on the Reddit post who volunteers with the food truck mentioned that they've had some issues with one of the food trucks' coolers breaking down constantly that has been posing an additional hurdle. I have no idea what's truly going on there but I would hope the corps are prepared to serve members with all types of dietary restrictions 

Point of order- Choosing a vegetarian or vegan diet is not a restriction, it is a personal preference. That doesn't mean it can't be accommodated, but imo it's a different animal (pun intended) than not being able to eat certain foods because of allergies, digestive issues, interactions with medications, etc. There are some foods that certain religious beliefs avoid also such as pork for Jewish or Muslim members.

Avoiding peanuts because of a severe allergy is a medical restriction. Choosing to only drink soy or almond milk because of some issue with the dairy industry (in absence of a medical issue like lactose intolerance) is a choice.

Back to your originally scheduled thread...

Edited by wolfgang
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

The good old days when corps breakfast was 10 boxes of cereal and 2 gallons of milk…

Dinner meant parking the busses at an intersection that had each corner occupied by 1.McDonald's, 2. Kentucky Fried Chicken 2. Skipper's 4. Subway

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 27Socal said:

While talking to corps members and walking next to the food trucks early in the season,  I found that BD let's you take as much entree food as you want to scoop out of containers on tables,  whereas SCV handed each mm a plate from the food truck window with a pre-determined portion size.  i think i have that right or it's the other way around.   The BD kids were really happy they could take as much as they want.  I think they both had other tables where you could take as much as you want, like pb&j, fruit, granola bars, etc.   I remember one BD horn kid running out to sectionals eating a PB&J sandwich after eating his regular meal. If Academy does the scoop as much as you want method,   perhaps certain things are out when the kids at the end of the line get up there.   If that's the case,  maybe they need to do the pre sized method.   Don't forget these kids probably need more than the 2,000 daily calories for an adult, because they're moving around all day.  I read an article about Michael Phelps and I think he said he needed about 10,000 calories a day when training.  I was curious about how good the kids eat now, compared to when i marched.  Not even close,  they eat so much better now, as long as there's enough for everyone.  Don't forget, BD feeds 225 people, 4 times a day.   That's a lot of food supplies to bring in on tour.  They have a special box truck, whose only job is to go get food supplies for all those meals.  But things can go wrong, like stores are out of certain things, the refrigerator or freezer in the food truck can break down, get a flat tire, etc.  It's not easy to feed all those people.  Maybe we should cut Academy a little slack, until we have all the details.

I recall story from late 70s-early 80s where Bridgemen were strapped for cash and dinner was sometimes popcorn. One time Bayonne was at same housing as BD, and Bayonne guard went and made some friends in BD; BD members would go get extra plates of food for them.  

9 hours ago, C.Holland said:

When it gets to members putting things out there asking for help, its beyond a small fire to put out.  It means those who were supposed to listen didn’t. 

True, unless the aggrieved member(s) went straight to internet, passing by any internal options.  

45 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Point of order- Choosing a vegetarian or vegan diet is not a restriction, it is a personal preference. That doesn't mean it can't be accommodated, but imo it's a different animal (pun intended) than not being able to eat certain foods because of allergies, digestive issues, interactions with medications, etc. There are some foods that certain religious beliefs avoid also such as pork for Jewish or Muslim members.

Avoiding peanuts because of a severe allergy is a medical restriction. Choosing to only drink soy or almond milk because of some issue with the dairy industry (in absence of a medical issue like lactose intolerance) is a choice.

Back to your originally scheduled thread...

You do realize vegetarianism and veganism is very often a religious restriction, right? Many Hindus (third most common religion in the world) and Buddhists are often strict vegetarians, those who are Jain often can't even have root vegetables in their food (onions and garlic) on top of no eggs, meat, etc. 

I am not vegetarian, but a vegetarian or vegan diet, whether it be by choice or for religious reasons is still a dietary restriction that should be respected just as much as any other dietary restriction. 

If you went camping with a bunch of friends and one of them was vegetarian by choice, would you only pack a bunch of meat for the trip and tell them to suck it up and eat it? Doesn't matter what the reason is, a food restriction is a food restriction. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

True, unless the aggrieved member(s) went straight to internet, passing by any internal options.  

you're not new to this. we as members gave bad situations more time than we likely should have before we said something.  "Survival".   Its the same reason interns stay in bad situations longer than needed.  We didn't know any better then, the members likely dont know any better now.  So if it got to a point of having to put it out there, which no one wants to be the corps asking for help on the road, i think its ok to say "c'mon man... get it together" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

You do realize vegetarianism and veganism is very often a religious restriction, right? Many Hindus (third most common religion in the world) and Buddhists are often strict vegetarians, those who are Jain often can't even have root vegetables in their food (onions and garlic) on top of no eggs, meat, etc. 

I am not vegetarian, but a vegetarian or vegan diet, whether it be by choice or for religious reasons is still a dietary restriction that should be respected just as much as any other dietary restriction. 

my brother has an iron condition, which causes his diet to be vegetarian.  so you never know, and it doesnt matter why. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Dinner meant parking the busses at an intersection that had each corner occupied by 1.McDonald's, 2. Kentucky Fried Chicken 2. Skipper's 4. Subway

This type of dining experience led to The Great Hat Rebellion, but that is a story for another time.