Winning at all costs

38 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

We can certainly agree to disagree but let me ask you this… Would you want to see the Chicago symphony ad a rock drum set bass guitar and electric guitars to their concerts? Should baseball start using a soccer ball instead of a baseball? At what point does the activity not even resemble anything from the past? If they want to do the stage productions create a new activity don’t change a great activity 😊

Have you seen “Mozart in the Jungle”? They showed having tuned Harleys playing Beethoven. I say, yeah, baby!   And as far as baseball goes, I’m a Tigers fan, so what ever it takes. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

We can certainly agree to disagree but let me ask you this… Would you want to see the Chicago symphony ad a rock drum set bass guitar and electric guitars to their concerts? Should baseball start using a soccer ball instead of a baseball? At what point does the activity not even resemble anything from the past? If they want to do the stage productions create a new activity don’t change a great activity 😊

Actually there has been many symphonies doing exactly that. Light shows , big screen visuals, on stage visuals. When asked " WHY " by some the answer was to attract people who in the past would never consider it, to take it to another level, NOT to take away from the past but to offer an alternative to those who may want to " see " the experience and not just " Hear"... Not a judgement either way here, that's for the individual to decide for themselves.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

You say it's an issue, start a thread complaining about it, but won't name one corps.  Got it.  Makes sense.

and i choose both and refuse to be one or the other.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

This is Art. It is Subjective to the individual what someone might like or not.

The only way that the groups Get Credit is by programming certain recognizable "demands" into the show. So that when it comes time for Critique, they can Say My Brass line is showing X the same way or better than this group, Are we getting the appropriate credit?

For Me there is always going to be a trade off. IF this was simply an Art form there would be no Judging. 

BUT. Competition Drives Excellence. 

Would these groups push themselves as hard if there was only the reward of Performance at the End?

Last year was refreshing, No Judging. Just Personal preference, but is that sustainable? 

This is a Sport, because of the competition. The Need to Win.

It is the Idiom. 

scoring well helps pay bills....it draws fans and sales and audition fees. Being loved pays bills. it draws fans, sells things and audition fees.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lance said:

People who get to a point where they don't like contemporary design choices have said this every year on DCP since I've been on it.  And before that they were saying it on RAMD.  If social media had been around before that, people would have been saying it then, too.  And people will continue saying it for a long time to come.  

it was called the letters to the editor in DCW back then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Nailed it! 

Madison Scouts and their fanbase always comes to mind for me. Scouts fans in general say they are so glad and happy that their beloved Scouts don't give a crap about scores and placements, and they perform for the sheer entertainment of the fans. But then hours later when scores and placements are announced, the Scouts Show Thread goes DEFCON ONE, and their fanbase start flipping out about...........scores and placements lol. 

much truth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Liahona said:

I almost feel like this is a baiting premise. My reasoning? Crown has focused on audience engagement this season.  I guess I'm just being cynical and for that I apologize.

and if the app has a fee...revenue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Jeff Ream. Please pick up the white courtesy phone. 

actually my phone is red right now.

when they changed the sheets after 13, they changed how effect was to be judged. it had gotten to heavily dependent on the intellectual part of the triad. with Mike swashing bucklers and bathing people in chocolate, the emotional and aesthetic were given a more prominent role in the judging of the caption.

and notably, that's the year the ABBD crowd got a lot quieter. Sure maybe fans wanted other corps to win in some years ( cough 15), but BD's shows became more engaging to the public en masse. 

The trend this year I am noticing is picking up where we left in 15 and trying things. Some may work, some may not. and as mentioned elsewhere...it's technically still June. No one's show is close to being finals ready...some dont even have their ending ( for now) on the field yet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and if the app has a fee...revenue.

It was a free download.