Abuse in Drum Corps

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

This is the same article that was discussed last year on these forums.

I think this article is more fleshed out than the one discussed earlier.  

At the time the original came out the SoA-meltdown was happening and this kind of got pushed to the side (along with allegations at some Open-Class Corps). 

Since this thread is titled "Abuse in Drum Corps", this story IMO is also appropriate to be posted here. This article is dated October 7, 2021 and the student came forward May 18, 2021.. 

Longtime Madison musician accused of sexual misconduct with drum-corps students

12 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Since this thread is titled "Abuse in Drum Corps", this story IMO is also appropriate to be posted here. This article is dated October 7, 2021 and the student came forward May 18, 2021.. 

Longtime Madison musician accused of sexual misconduct with drum-corps students

That was discussed on here too

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

My bad.  I wasn't paying too much attention during the long off period either as the OP mentioned.  I'll assume that folks also talked about an open letter dated 4/7/22 about the poor girl who marched Santa Clara Vanguard in the early 2000's who had many harmful and damaging experiences while marching with them.

https://www.maasin.net/blog/open-letter-to-the-drum-corps-community-megan-de-roiz-yankee 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

My bad.  I wasn't paying too much attention during the long off period either as the OP mentioned.  I'll assume that folks also talked about an open letter dated 4/7/22 about the poor girl who marched Santa Clara Vanguard in the early 2000's who had many harmful and damaging experiences while marching with them.

https://www.maasin.net/blog/open-letter-to-the-drum-corps-community-megan-de-roiz-yankee 

Sad commentary that we almost need a scorecard to track all the various Drum Corps abuse cases 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is sad.  I remember watching  a Phantom rehearsal several years ago and listening to guard staff in the stands (probably techs) talk negatively about the males in the guard.  I was surprised they did this around other people.  I was a couple rows up in the stands and could hear them.  I actually felt bad for the males in the guard knowing that staff members actually hated them so much.

• Like 2

I could be wrong, but we're not talking about recent age-outs who don't know better and are struggling with new positions of "power".

These are "seasoned leaders".

A new instructor doing this - could see it happening and requiring some coaching. These people have been teaching in the biz for a good 10 years, at least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

I could be wrong, but we're not talking about recent age-outs who don't know better and are struggling with new positions of "power".

These are "seasoned leaders".

A new instructor doing this - could see it happening and requiring some coaching. These people have been teaching in the biz for a good 10 years, at least.

Part of the problem is the degree of consanguinity among Corps w/r/t instructors.  They often leave one Corps to move to another, with any negative information concerning inappropriate behavior washed-away in the process (like baptism, but different).  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Part of the problem is the degree of consanguinity among Corps w/r/t instructors.  They often leave one Corps to move to another, with any negative information concerning inappropriate behavior washed-away in the process (like baptism, but different).  

10,000%!!!

• Thanks 1

Ya know, when it was my 4th year in college I was not in a great place... mentally. I was kind of a loner and didn't feel like I fit in at SHSU at the time. So I usually stayed in the dungeon aka the practice rooms. I mean, I practiced A LOT and worked very hard. But I felt paralyzed... like I struggled going to class because I panicked. I did go to my music classes of course, but rumor went around campus that I was lazy. Anyways, I was in the Wind Ensemble and we were preparing to perform at TMEA, and of course we were going on tour. We performed and when we returned my string methods instructor just went after me. She said and I quote "hi Michael, so glad you can join us today"..... yeah, and then she graded me HARSHLY. I would practice for hours and worked with some other string players. And she just failed.... she didn't help me at all.... I ended up dropping her class and to my knowledge she is still teaching at SHSU. When the time comes for me to take string methods I plan to opt out and take lessons. I'll have to deal with Jury's... but I know where I stand there. Heck, she could have changed and is just fine now. This happened almost 10 years ago.

My point is, well, sadly it's everywhere you go. Some people will just put you down because they can. However, I'm using as fuel now. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Sad 1