Abuse in Drum Corps

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Speaking to many folks around rehearsals that's exactly what I've heard. BAC also has a zero tolerance policy which I've realized is not just a policy for policy's sake, but something they've taken very serious action on as well over the years.

Serious props to BAC as an organization for that 

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It accomplished quite a bit actually; 5th place, 1st place, 6th place, and 3rd place.  It didn't happen that often but getting yelled at by Bobby Hoffman, Mike Duffy, Ralph Hardimon, or Tom Float was quite a motivating factor to change unwanted behavior - it was never about making a mistake in drill or playing. 

Only unwanted behavior I can think of is slacking off. No expert on todays young people but given the expense and how some are using DC as part of a musical education (for the music majors), I can’t see how too many are slackers.

deadnaming somebody isn't yelling at them.  weirdos will try to reduce transphobic behavior to whatever idiocy they want..yelling, disciplining, whatever.  don't let them get away with it. 

sad to hear about this.  any corps that hires staff who would even think of deadnaming as punishment needs a lot of work from top to bottom.  hoping phantom addressed this. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Lance said:

deadnaming somebody isn't yelling at them.  weirdos will try to reduce transphobic behavior to whatever idiocy they want..yelling, disciplining, whatever.  don't let them get away with it. 

sad to hear about this.  any corps that hires staff who would even think of deadnaming as punishment needs a lot of work from top to bottom.  hoping phantom addressed this. 

Thank you and I totally agree. This isn’t about yelling, this is about homophonic behaviors. It’s really sad because I know a lot of member of the LGBTQIA+ community who look at Drum Corps as a safe place. There needs to be people hold accountable for this. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Sounds like yelling is just a confounding variable that you are treating as the solution to a problem (the unwanted behavior). You are confused, but it’s okay. 

Yelling accomplishes nothing. 

Yelling by staff when warranted absolutely solved problematic behavior in individuals.  To try and tell it didn't when you were not there, and perhaps not even born yet is absurd.  

47 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Only unwanted behavior I can think of is slacking off. No expert on todays young people but given the expense and how some are using DC as part of a musical education (for the music majors), I can’t see how too many are slackers.

Our founder and Director was a Naval Officer, so the definition of "slacking off" was probably a little broader.  After a run-through, or practicing a particular section, we trotted back to our spots and stood at attention.  We had military-like discipline and it worked.  From the results I see on the field today, I agree, I doubt there are many slackers for the reason you state.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Our founder and Director was a Naval Officer, so the definition of "slacking off" was probably a little broader.  After a run-through, or practicing a particular section, we trotted back to our spots and stood at attention.  We had military-like discipline and it worked.  From the results I see on the field today, I agree, I doubt there are many slackers for the reason you state.  

Anaheim’s military bearing was pretty hard-core and extreme at a time when all Corps emphasized military bearing. 

3 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

And on and on it goes. “Policing ourselves” Yelled by staff. $5,000 to march. 

Why?

Because Drum Crops is a fun and enriching experience (I do sorta agree with you on the cost though). 

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It accomplished quite a bit actually; 5th place, 1st place, 6th place, and 3rd place.  It didn't happen that often but getting yelled at by Bobby Hoffman, Mike Duffy, Ralph Hardimon, or Tom Float was quite a motivating factor to change unwanted behavior - it was never about making a mistake in drill or playing. 

Interesting. I was taught by Bobby Hoffman from 70-72 in Garfield, and I do not recall him yelling at us. Him yelling does not fit my own personal recollection of his teaching style. He could be sarcastic at times, and his comments could be cutting, but I do not recall yelling. Actually, our entire staff those three years were not "yellers" as has been described in this thread.

I taught bands from 1971, my freshman year in college, through 2017. I was not the type of person to yell; it really does not accomplish anything, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Thinking about it we had some yellers with our drill instructors. But they just yelled to get it out of their systems and never was personally insulting. Let’s just say they didn’t need a megaphone. Kicker was at practice it was “#### you screwed that up”. And after practice it was “hey haven’t talked to you for a while, how are you doing”.