Abuse in Drum Corps

40 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes.  And when it is not decisively addressed to the time it festers.  

This is why everything needs to be on video.  Context matters as I had said a year ago.  We have absolutely no context for whatever happened (other than one persons view) nor has anyone come forward to clarify nor substantiate what was going on or what has been done to correct the issue IF the issue is precisely what has been claimed.  The person that feels/or was wronged here could suffer from an "egg shell" condition that makes it worse than it actually was.  This isn't an apology for what was or wasn't done but DCI seems to be satisfied.  This was also a year ago and the feeling I get is that if they don't get their pound of flesh or a firing from this than this isn't resolved for some odd reason.  I'm sure the people will clamor for the top woke position now on speaking truthisms.  Have at it.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Continental said:

Do you mean because the instructor was not fired, it was not decisively addressed?

Or because Phantom did not comment on this publicly?

Or perhaps both of the above?

I suppose it is somewhat situational, but if it is not addressed to point that the member is posting on social media about ether following season, then it wasn’t addressed. 

Bad news ages poorly.  

• Thanks 1

So were the local authorities informed of this abuse ?   Were charges filed against the abuser ?   

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes but apparently whatever Phantom did or didn't do wasn't enough if its come back out with more details.

Repeat of Spirit…. 🤦‍♂️

6 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

So were the local authorities informed of this abuse ?   Were charges filed against the abuser ?   

No.  But this isn't something that rises to law enforcement.  Far as I know and read nothing indicates any law being broken so what charges could you bring?  Threatening to call someone a name (and not ever doing it btw) won't have the police coming to arrest someone.  That doesn't mean that doesn't need to be addressed mind you.  There are a LOT of things that don't break the law but are still crappy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

No.  But this isn't something that rises to law enforcement.  Far as I know and read nothing indicates any law being broken so what charges could you bring?  Threatening to call someone a name (and not ever doing it btw) won't have the police coming to arrest someone.  That doesn't mean that doesn't need to be addressed mind you.  There are a LOT of things that don't break the law but are still crappy.

I agree that not all offenses rise to the level of law enforcement involvement.  But that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be addressed by Corps leadership. 

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree that not all offenses rise to the level of law enforcement involvement.  But that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be addressed by Corps leadership. 

Well, to be fair the post did say the in a virtual meeting that training was instituted regarding this matter.  Now a release of that meeting would shed a LOT of light on what was done and the context of what was being said by both parties.  I may be in the minority here but when you make claims you need to have some sort of context and some sort of corroboration in context of what was actually happening both before and after.  DCI seems to be satisfied with what they did.  DCI is who is trusted to oversee this.  If DCI isn't getting the job done then DCI needs to be looked at a LOT closer.  Now that being said if the end result is simply to get people fired rather than educated and fixed..then there will never be a resolution until this happens,

3 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Well, to be fair the post did say the in a virtual meeting that training was instituted regarding this matter.  Now a release of that meeting would shed a LOT of light on what was done and the context of what was being said by both parties.  I may be in the minority here but when you make claims you need to have some sort of context and some sort of corroboration in context of what was actually happening both before and after.  DCI seems to be satisfied with what they did.  DCI is who is trusted to oversee this.  If DCI isn't getting the job done then DCI needs to be looked at a LOT closer.  Now that being said if the end result is simply to get people fired rather than educated and fixed..then there will never be a resolution until this happens,

There have been quite a few occasions where DCI have dragged their feet in matters of these and similar cases, people wouldn’t already be saying DCI needed to improve if they were doing their utmost to respond to what is occurring either by staff or by the marching membership to other MM’s. 

9 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Oh okay, I feel better now.

Ok