The state of parades after Highland Park

We absolutely need to have more mental health in this country.  More and more unhinged people.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Geneva said:

In NY State police summoned for this type of situation would have the responsibility and power to place that individual under “mental hygiene arrest” as presenting a threat to himself or the lives of others and requiring an evaluation by a psychiatric professional within 72 hours.

The Highland Park PD encouraged the family to file charges but they refused.   He wasn’t even supposed to have that firearm in the village.  They have an ordinance separate from Illinois and Lake County firearm laws.  Lots of dropped balls here. 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You’d probably be okay.  Now if I did…different story. 

You and me both, I would imagine.

As to the general decrease in parade activity and meaning for such events, I think it is largely a cultural shift away from hometown activity on major holidays.  During federal holidays, families get the heck out of Dodge.  During the school year, it has become impossible for many schools to engage in marching music and other marching groups due to the lack of availability.

Honestly, this isn't some sort of depression, or decline that demonstrates anything other than the ability and motivation for many families to travel when they are free.  But there it is, it's less important because it has become less important in people's lives.  I certainly can't judge that negatively or mourn the change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont believe parades will go away. the MD parade fest continued unabated all day Monday. I believe the other ones in the region cancelled for several reasons, including at first there was a manhunt for the shooter. that one may not happen going forward, or at least take on a  different tone in the future

I kinda disagree with you. I think at least for now people will now think twice about going into a public space for a parade where someone might shoot people just for being there and easy target. I knew after what happened in Texas there was going to be others that will want to do what that person did in TX. There are other young men waiting for that chance and have no regard for human life. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I kinda disagree with you. I think at least for now people will now think twice about going into a public space for a parade where someone might shoot people just for being there and easy target. I knew after what happened in Texas there was going to be others that will want to do what that person did in TX. There are other young men waiting for that chance and have no regard for human life. 

This.  NO regard for human life.  I would add, then glorified on media.

• Like 1

Some years back there was a great panic by organizers after there were some incidents of cars being used to mow down folks at parades or street festivals. Many have adapted to the risk. At one large local parade that we attend the police now park garbage trucks or fire engines blocking intersections that access the route. I have no doubt there will be a similar effort to guard against rooftop threats. Maybe it will be surveilance drones or something similar, I don't know, but I have faith that law enforcement will evolve their tactics to combat the threat.

21 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

Some years back there was a great panic by organizers after there were some incidents of cars being used to mow down folks at parades or street festivals. Many have adapted to the risk. At one large local parade that we attend the police now park garbage trucks or fire engines blocking intersections that access the route. I have no doubt there will be a similar effort to guard against rooftop threats. Maybe it will be surveilance drones or something similar, I don't know, but I have faith that law enforcement will evolve their tactics to combat the threat.

Great. The guy who massacred innocent people was dressed as a woman. I guess women will now be searched for being a male. 

My daughter marched in both the Rose Parade and Macy’s. It was always a low level worry in the back of my mind because both are such high profile events. But the security presence at both was pretty heavy, which helped abate those fears somewhat. In the end, I think you can still be reasonably cautious and try to go on living your life as best you can. At least I try. But I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t think about it a lot more than I used to. Which sucks.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

I believe you are right. It is sad that now, in addition to street safety, organizers have to worry about the roof tops as well. You would have to think that some planning committees will just throw up their hands and give up on parades!