What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

55 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

It’s not solely music though if we are putting gymnastics, figure skating, marching arts into a framework where there are clearly victors, where affect becomes effect, albeit of course subjective. Even losers, from the vanquished runner up, to the most hopeless can become legendary in both fields, again because there is affect for people to hold onto, it draws a reaction, an emotion. Another similarity right there. I think on the most human level, both would be considered sport.

I  uh...  I think we agree but you just won't capitulate on the notion that DCI isn't pure sport. These terms aren't qualifiers of quality, mind you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, valjean said:

I  uh...  I think we agree but you just won't capitulate on the notion that DCI isn't pure sport. These terms aren't qualifiers of quality, mind you.

Oh yeah I’m not one to say it either is or isn’t due to an insecurity of the label indicating quality, I’m just more liberal with the definition I guess haha

DCI should change its slogan from "Marching Music's Major League" to "Gymnastics and Brass" because it's no longer about precision drill.   

Just run from prop to prop to your dot!  That's what the Bluecoats call innovation, baby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My controversial opinion is 

1. don’t do curvilinear forms unless you know you can achieve them.

Good example: Crown (although I really don’t like his drill, he did work for vandy nat. Champs in BOA).

Bad Example: Pretty much everyone except like Phantom and Mandarins.

2. Pick your source music wisely, and let the source music generate the effect on it’s own.

Good Example: BD, Carnival of Venice

Bad Example: SCV pretty much all of it. Yes it should be recognizable but not foreign

3. Please lets use new music! Looking at you Mandarins playing “another brick in the wall,” how many times have we heard that on the field?!

4. Pick music that flows seamlessly.

SCV and BD are doing a good job of that. Boston… it’s not so hot

I also hate jazz on the field so the Cadets are out for me this year but hey ho can’t love em all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ykw said:

DCI should change its slogan from "Marching Music's Major League" to "Gymnastics and Brass" because it's no longer about precision drill.   

Just run from prop to prop to your dot!  That's what the Bluecoats call innovation, baby!

go to bed ❤️

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Good example: Crown (although I really don’t like his drill, he did work for vandy nat. Champs in BOA).

2. Pick your source music wisely, and let the source music generate the effect on it’s own.

Bad Example: SCV pretty much all of it. Yes it should be recognizable but not foreign

3. Please lets use new music! Looking at you Mandarins playing “another brick in the wall,” how many times have we heard that on the field?!

I also hate jazz on the field so the Cadets are out for me this year but hey ho can’t love em all.

If you make your show music a one-trick kinda deal throughout, it runs the risk of stalling and stalling HARD

cut down on the synth, too much too much too loud

the corps that are *typically* outside of the top six with the exception of blue knights imo, have had really sterile and bland musical programs, a and as others have mentioned before are quite boring. In person, it’s fine but I feel like corps arrangers don’t know their personnel enough and play it way too safe, especially when it comes to brass. Percussion gets more love even when you go further down the ranks, my complaints don’t really lie with them.

2 hours ago, ykw said:

Ugh I hate doing this. (They is literally every corps because all corps do this now) They’re not just “running from prop to prop” though. Every movement they do from “prop to prop” is calculated. Every step they do is in time with the beat and sometimes it’s not to offset what you’re seeing opposed to what you’re hearing. There’s a lot of factors in play than just left right left right (or right left if you’re a cadet). I think you’re choosing to not look into the precision it takes to create THIS drill right now. Maybe not conscientiously at least. Anyone can just run around in circles an play notes. They’re clearly not doing that. Give it a couple goes! You might change your mind. 

Edited by squarepush
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

You just hate jazz on the field In general or you like it when it’s done well? 

4 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

I am not sure how you can hate jazz on the field and at the same time enjoy the kings of jazz, the blue devils 🙂 

• Like 2

Let's see

- I do love the jagged line. Probably my #2 Bluecoats show after kinetic noise. Bluecoats have been designing great shows for many years. Check out 1995 if you can find it.

- I also love programmatic shows- although they have been much more common since Spartacus won in 08 they have been around a lot longer. SCVs Phantom of the opera is a great example of this. Also if you like the fun side of DCI find some old Velvet Knights shows.

- Narration is a super controversial opinion but many of my favorite shows contain well used narration. "This I believe" by the Cadets is an amazing show that is so hated but it paved the way for more use if narration. The best show with Narration is Blue Knights 2014. By far. 

- I almost always am against singing. There are some shows I like that happen to have singing but I certainly don't like them because of the singing. I love Carolina Crown but 2017 and 2004 are two of my least favorite shows from any corps.

Props- I can take it or leave it. I love seeing corps professionally enter the field and march like the 00-06 Cavaliers and props make that difficult. They can be used for some really cool effects or story telling.

Woodwinds- no. GTFO

• Like 1