1 minute ago, Rocketman said:

Hello Dave!

Howdy Jeff!

36 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Been a long time!

At least six iterations of drum corps.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tedrick said:

looking at the size of the crowd at DeKalb, it looked like many people are voting with their pocketbooks.
In defense of the OP, satire and humor are often more effective means of persuasion than pedantic polemic. 

I remember everything --

Are people “voting with their pocketbooks” or is it a failure to reach new and younger audiences? I have never been to DeKalb so I don’t know the audience demographics, but I spoke with an organizer of a now cancelled show who told me attendance at his show declined when many people who attended could no longer do stairs. 

12 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

It’s up to the corps to change gas prices and an oncoming recession? — factors that probably have a lot more to do with butts in the stands than some mass protest against “the sheets.” Ya gotta stop projecting. We’ve got to stop saying the activity is dead when what we mean is that we no longer love it. 

The more people bring this up (at minimum weekly) the more I feel like many of us are drastically  misremembering DCI’s past. I think people are in love with a version of this activity that selectively leaves a lot of things out — which I get in a human sense, because nostalgia is real. But when I look at DCI’s past, I see a lot more weirdness and experimentation than the “shut up and play me a melody” crowd apparently remembers. And don’t even get me started on weird uniforms and props. 

I feel like over my 45 years observing the activity that I do NOT misremember DCI past. I was genuinely thrilled by what was being produced on the field, a culmination of so many design elements and instruction and hard work. As a music educator of 40+ plus years IMO the design shift we currently observe IS fundamentally different, and each fan/consumer ultimately decides how that affects his/her show attendance and support.

I, for one have decided that my usual shows are no longer worth attending this year. It's not a matter of finances, never was.

I'm content to eagerly follow each corps' design, roll out, ST, competitive match-ups, season progress, and videos to get my fixes.

But, the shift in design has eliminated my pre-existing desire to attend "no matter what".

YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I agree that the current shows are pretty boring compared to the shows before 2000.  My favorite years were 1979-1980.   So many shows then with entertaining music and drills.  I'm afraid that shipped has sailed though.

The audience reaction has gone down as well.  Too bad the younger fans didn't experience the great crowds from back then.

3 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Please go back and read my post in context to the question I was answering. The member corps decide what is awarded on the sheets. There are comments sprinkled about DCP that some of this years shows aren’t exactly connecting with some fans. I feel there is a direct correlation between what is being rewarded and fewer butts in the seats.

I realllllly wouldn’t rely on DCP comments to tell you what’s connecting with fans when there’s so much evidence to the contrary that you can find for yourself, even for the shows which — based on DCP — you’d think no one enjoys or cares about. Have you watched any of the many videos taken from in the stands? People are having a great time. 

According to DCP, “no one” has connected with Drum Corps for decades, despite the fact that corps are bigger in size, more financially healthy, with bigger fanbases worldwide than they’ve ever had before in large part thanks to social media and ways of participating in this activity that aren’t limited to going to live shows.

I’m not dismissing the people who feel or lament that DCI has changed. Obviously it has changed. I’m dismissing the people who think their negative feelings about that fact speak for everyone else’s feelings, and who project their feelings onto everyone else to feel like their sour grapes are justified. You simply don’t have to do that. You don’t have to pretend, as many do, that current MMs aren’t proud to be there and aren’t feeling challenged and inspired by the shows that they’re performing, just because you don’t like those shows as much as you used to. That just shows a total disregard for the kids out there on the field, and it’s also just demonstrably false. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I realllllly wouldn’t rely on DCP comments to tell you what’s connecting with fans when there’s so much evidence to the contrary that you can find for yourself, even for the shows which — based on DCP — you’d think no one enjoys or cares about. Have you watched any of the many videos taken from in the stands? People are having a great time. 

According to DCP, “no one” has connected with Drum Corps for decades, despite the fact that corps are bigger in size, more financially healthy, with bigger fanbases worldwide than they’ve ever had before in large part thanks to social media and ways of participating in this activity that aren’t limited to going to live shows.

I’m not dismissing the people who feel or lament that DCI has changed. Obviously it has changed. I’m dismissing the people who think their negative feelings about that fact speak for everyone else’s feelings, and who project their feelings onto everyone else to feel like their sour grapes are justified. You simply don’t have to do that. You don’t have to pretend, as many do, that current MMs aren’t proud to be there and aren’t feeling challenged and inspired by the shows that they’re performing, just because you don’t like those shows as much as you used to. That just shows a total disregard for the kids out there on the field, and it’s also just demonstrably false. 

Well, you’re entitled to your opinion but I have a bit of a problem with your delivery. I am not saying the activity is doomed because some people don’t      find the current trend their cup of tea nor have I disrespected the current marching members for their efforts NOR am I speaking for the majority OF DCPers. But I guess two of us can play the projection game. 

I have taken the time to watch videos of many of this years offerings and one thing stands out to me. Empty seats around the people who are filming these snippets. Why is that?

Listen, drum corps is a big activity and a diverse one too…it offers something for everyone…. even for those who don’t buy into the current trends. There are corps this season who rely less on props and more on musicality to entertain the audience and marching members alike…and you know what? Those shows are gaining in popularity. Perhaps there is room for both?

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1