I need to know about BD 2005

22 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

At the Stanford show...

"And when I play my trumpet, something wonderful happens!"

Me (sotto voce to the guy next to me, since I didn't want it on a recording) "Yeah....you shut up!"

“Now let's do something with no voice!” *crowd erupts in applause* (I remember that being semifinals?)

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, Reed said:

During that time Scott Chandler was the creative director of the James Logan Scholastic World Guard. They won something like 9 or 10 straight WGI Scholastic World titles during the late 90's into the 2000s.

I feel like forbidden knowledge has been revealed to me. Does the show make any more sense to me? No. Do I appreciate it better? Heck no! But at least I have the context behind it now, thank you! 

• Like 2

The basis for the James Logan show (and later Blue Devils) is from a pretty twisted movie from the 1960s depicting a depression-era dance marathon, with lots of tropes commonly used in dystopian stories.  The movie was entitled "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" with the title coming from a line at the end of the movie when a man shot a woman, then uttering the line as a means of conveying he was putting her out of her misery.

James Logan's show title was the reverse of the movie title, to account for the fact that they were performing the derby in reverse. BD then took the same concept with a much more gingerly use of the catchphrase popularized by the derby emcee in the movie. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shoot_Horses,_Don't_They%3F_(film)

Edited by Musicman1084

WGI has had some pretty dark shows for high school groups through the years.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:02 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

Last night I watched Derby for the first time, and it was truly an unforgettable experience. And I mean that in a bad way. What in the world was this show about? Horses? Marriage? Dancing? Racing? I really enjoy abstract shows but this one was so confusingly bad. Screamer trumpets were worst I've ever heard. 

That being said, is there anyone here who marched/worked at BD or knows someone who did in 2005? Do you know what the intent of this show was? What was going on through the design process? Hoping I get answers, this is gonna drive me crazy till I die 😵

https://bluedevils.org/programs/a-corps/seasons/?programID=1&season=2005&module=info

Here is the info about the show on their site. If you wonder about the other shows and themes, they have them listed as well. I love how they have this whole database or page dedicated to information on past shows. It's like their own Wikipedia page. They also list the members who marched too. 

That's actually really fascinating history. I'll have to check out "They Shoot Horses, Don't They", it sounds like an interesting read/watch