THE STANDSTILLS HAVE ALREADY BEGUN

Well, I live on the coast of Maine and it was 93 degrees here today and still 90 right now (9:13 pm).

Not sure how much more north you could go to get the temps down for showtime.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Do an early Texas tour. Start the tour in Texas. Whatever needs to be done, but I think we can all agree that Texas in Mid/Late July and Early August isn't a good idea. 

Pretty sure marching bands have band camp in June in some cases in Texas. If they're smart enough to do so, why isn't DCI??

I know you’re not the only one saying, but the tour in Texas ends on the 26th, and it usually ends quite a bit before August as it’s really the midpoint of the season, more shows are packed in this year especially in the latter half than the former half. And those June camps aren’t any kind of level as intensive as the august camps that happen, they’re the “get freshman’s feet wet” camps. many schools are starting their main band camps a week from now.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

45 minutes ago, craiga said:

I agree with Tex.    In BAC'S  case, more than half of the members come from Texas universities.   Also, I was marching BAC in 1980 in Birmingham. I clearly remember eating a bowl of Fruit Loops for breakfast on the day of prelims and having sweat drip down my nose into the cereal.  We also had heavy, black wool uniforms and of course shakos.  Also, as anyone of my age will confirm,  NOBODY had water jugs in those days.   Instead, they gave us salt tablets and I am not making that up.  Even if it is hotter now, the kids are far better cared for than 40+ years ago.

My first experience with drum corps!  I was there in the stands at Legion Field my junior year in HS.  Our band director took a bus load of students.  I'll never forget that experience.      

Resident Meteorology Student and Storm Chaser here...happy to see some weather enthusiasts on this platform. Definitely makes me feel more at home, met someone who works for the NWS through another band forum which was really cool. 

Anyways, this does happen to be the hottest day in Oklahoma State History as a whole. For the first time in history, all 120 Oklahoma MesoNet ASOS and AWOS stations measured temperatures greater than 101°F at the same time - and this was at 2:35 pm, hours before the diurnal heating cycle reaches it's peak in Oklahoma (link below). Now, this doesn't mean that these kinds of temperatures are rare for the Southern and Central Plains. They happen almost yearly, and have for decades, and extremes will come sprinkled in throughout that time naturally. This is a hot summer for the plains, but that is mostly because of the long term position of the polar jet pattern with a ridge emplaced over the plains and eastern side of the rockies and jet extensions favoring the east coast, which will persist into the winter. There is a whole bunch of climatological jargon I could throw into this to help explain why, but I would probably be here for hours typing up an entire thesis and dissertation given the passion I have for weather haha. 

Point is, temperatures like this are more common than the media likes to make it out to be. Just four (might be five) years ago I remember the Belton show being changed to rehearsal attire only for the performances because of the weather - a cool 113°F. Those temperatures happen every year in nearly all parts of Texas, people just have a short memory and forget about it when they find themselves sweating bullets in the hot summer day when they have to mow the lawn for the first time in three weeks because it rained for the first time in a month and a half last week. I know this because I used to live there and saw that exact encounter first hand 😆.

And for those that think moving the show further north would be of much help, I'd like to remind you that South-Central Canada reaches triple digits frequently during the summer now as well. Parts of Nebraska west of Lincoln regularly reach 110°F+ almost yearly too. The anomaly was when western Canada roasted in ~120°F weather for like two weeks last year. Most of British Columbia is filled with mountains and the western side of the mountain range typically receive a lot of rain during the late spring into summer months depending on once again the average placement of the polar jet for that particular year and pattern. The Seattle Cascades and the Oregon Crusaders had one hell of a summer to contend with if there were a full season that year. 

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fokmesonet%2Fstatus%2F1549487126336524288%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3NWrD2BgjXbaptgCyoQaY53OKHycSTUm9HgW_a05T_9lXVUrjn74Shwpw&h=AT0Xo8U0ORbbFfeGxsuBJqBMBYlOFD0JX9-_4I3rEASQ6jRh7DARNaNBxkE9iIrdhWJqH9is8WjtoLMfPYcmaCas0rwcEqEMEu3qynKyddPU5A0aO3Z_VYdsI7dhKptYQx_GxQ_jTOsyb9e7m71vxQ

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s 84 here.  Y’all need to come to Florida.  😂 

Come to Kentucky, it's 80 here. I have you beat, Miss Terri!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Resident Meteorology Student and Storm Chaser here...happy to see some weather enthusiasts on this platform. Definitely makes me feel more at home, met someone who works for the NWS through another band forum which was really cool. 

Anyways, this does happen to be the hottest day in Oklahoma State History as a whole. For the first time in history, all 120 Oklahoma MesoNet ASOS and AWOS stations measured temperatures greater than 101°F at the same time - and this was at 2:35 pm, hours before the diurnal heating cycle reaches it's peak in Oklahoma (link below). Now, this doesn't mean that these kinds of temperatures are rare for the Southern and Central Plains. They happen almost yearly, and have for decades, and extremes will come sprinkled in throughout that time naturally. This is a hot summer for the plains, but that is mostly because of the long term position of the polar jet pattern with a ridge emplaced over the plains and eastern side of the rockies and jet extensions favoring the east coast, which will persist into the winter. There is a whole bunch of climatological jargon I could throw into this to help explain why, but I would probably be here for hours typing up an entire thesis and dissertation given the passion I have for weather haha. 

Point is, temperatures like this are more common than the media likes to make it out to be. Just four (might be five) years ago I remember the Belton show being changed to rehearsal attire only for the performances because of the weather - a cool 113°F. Those temperatures happen every year in nearly all parts of Texas, people just have a short memory and forget about it when they find themselves sweating bullets in the hot summer day when they have to mow the lawn for the first time in three weeks because it rained for the first time in a month and a half last week. I know this because I used to live there and saw that exact encounter first hand 😆.

And for those that think moving the show further north would be of much help, I'd like to remind you that South-Central Canada reaches triple digits frequently during the summer now as well. Parts of Nebraska west of Lincoln regularly reach 110°F+ almost yearly too. The anomaly was when western Canada roasted in ~120°F weather for like two weeks last year. Most of British Columbia is filled with mountains and the western side of the mountain range typically receive a lot of rain during the late spring into summer months depending on once again the average placement of the polar jet for that particular year and pattern. The Seattle Cascades and the Oregon Crusaders had one hell of a summer to contend with if there were a full season that year. 

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fokmesonet%2Fstatus%2F1549487126336524288%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3NWrD2BgjXbaptgCyoQaY53OKHycSTUm9HgW_a05T_9lXVUrjn74Shwpw&h=AT0Xo8U0ORbbFfeGxsuBJqBMBYlOFD0JX9-_4I3rEASQ6jRh7DARNaNBxkE9iIrdhWJqH9is8WjtoLMfPYcmaCas0rwcEqEMEu3qynKyddPU5A0aO3Z_VYdsI7dhKptYQx_GxQ_jTOsyb9e7m71vxQ

SOME KNOWLEDGE!!

• Like 1

For those who want to start the season with a Texas Tour, or at least make it early season......

Using San Antonio as the example. Source- NOAA.

Average temp. for June 93'/72'

Average temp for July  94'/74'

Adding 2000+/- miles for the east & west coast corps for a difference of ONE degree? How much earlier would you like the shows to be?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

San Antonio (where I used to live) has an all time record temperature of 111 degrees, but has frequently reached 104, 107, etc going back at least 70 years (just pulled up data for it). I lived there when they had the second highest temperature all time (110°F) on August 28, 2011, but overall though the summer was hot it never really felt out of the ordinary. 

The 111°F day happened 22 years ago by the way, for reference. 

Edited by MadisonBandMan1