Bluecoats ending - yay or ney?

On 7/23/2022 at 11:41 AM, Cappybara said:

Trust that design team to make the changes necessary

Trust the process?

“Don’t think about winning the SEC Championship. Don’t think about the national championship. Think about what you needed to do in this drill, on this play, in this moment. That’s the process: Let’s think about what we can do today, the task at hand.” - Nick Saban  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the new ending...WITH SOME CAVEATS - all of which I have to imagine they gots on their collective radar, but...

1) Takes too long to develop. It's like the car got stuck in third gear, but getting the wheels to side 1, and getting the CG performer set to toss over the axle is like someone pressed .5x on the video speed. I'm not sayin you should be reckless about it, but part of "effect" is the element of surprise, to which, as it is, this lacks. I know what your doing, where your going, what's coming next, etc.. 

TL/DR - the setup needs to tighten up, and not be as transparent. 

2) Somehow - the drum line doin what they be doin during the dissonance (While the brass is getting run over) needs to be highlighted more. If it didn't equal decapitating drum line member heads, I'd say having them moving in contrary motion under the axle would be appropriate...but, respecting human life and all - maybe just contrary motion behind the wheels could be effective (?). I dunno - I like...I love the jam, and how it creates the tension to be resolved post-brass-flattening, but it's kinda lost with the DL moving WITH the wheels, and behind em. I'm not fully thought out on this, other than knowing that accentuating the DL will create added tension, thus making the resolution that much more satisfying. 

3) OK - this one - probably isn't going to be the most popular. But...I feel like it all being a dream cheapens the show. I don't know if it's better as an LSD trip...but, as a dream...it loses meaning and effect. And, you can't Bobby Ewing me!! Don't string me along for 12 minutes, thinking you're learning all these life lessons with this cool cat driving you around, only to find out that you're ACTUALLY laying there in an alcohol-induced coma, with drool all over the pillow, only realizing these life lessons when you're temporarily awoken by your body needing to evacuate whatever toxins you previously ingested. OK, minus all the alcohol and body evacuation scenarios - that's exaggerating. But, I feel like the show has more meaning if you're living it - everyone is making it out to be drug-induced, or whatever (not aided in any part by my own descriptor as an LSD trip, but whatevs...), and maybe that's interpreted from the style of speech, but boil it down and it's a dude, in a car with another dude, learning some important life lessons (don't road rage against the guy who speeds past you, your words matter, etc.). And maybe he's high...or not...whatever, it's legal in Colorado. Either way, I feel like the show has more meaning as a (fictional) true story, not as a (fictional) dream. 

4) Besides the timing at the top of the new tag, which unlike the other two points, I think is necessary to address, the other major liability right now is the quasi-guard feature in the closer after the impact/suspension/resolution while the brass/percs restage behind the side two prop - and it's not the guards fault, it's just a tad too long/static for that point in the show. The guard isn't doing enough to command the moment, and honestly, there's not enough stuff to choreograph to that would make the moment better. It's really just a vertical analysis/alignment issue that isn't the fault of any one section - but from a programming standpoint - she falls flat. Now, the impact, suspension, and suspension becoming the root moment which precedes it - is amazing, and should not be changed - but, the moment thereafter while the Front Ensemble noodles about, and the CG has the stage...meh...they don't have the equipment or inspiration to do what's needed from the score. What's written doesn't exemplify what they're capable of, either. So, to me, it's kinda a  no-win situation that needs to be solved programmatically....not from one section stepping up to the proverbial plate or not. 

It FEELS like we're just giving the brass a break - which, it kinda is. But, you have to do a better job in sneaking that in there. And, for what it's worth, if this does change and get truncated...sowwy, Brass line. 😕

It's change-30...excited to see what the design team and performers have to offer as this all gets perfected. I'm glad they got ending 2.0 in before SA, and now have time to make Ending 2.1. For some other teams, I feel like they are holding onto their June endings for a bitttttttt  too long, and they need to get out of their own way, make the adjustments, and give it some time to settle in and get tweaked even more. If they don't watch the calendar, before ya know it, you'll be rounding the corner into the midwest again, when the only thing on your collective minds should be clean, cleaning, and cleaner. If nothing else...the Coats have the advantage here, because they got something out there, and can now make it better with some breathing room. Excited to see what's gonna come of it!

Here's a link to the real narration in "Taming The Dragon"

Perhaps the Bluecoats' design team will make the narrative more "spicy" by using the words, mo-f-r, s--t and d-bag?

https://mojim.com/usy181479x1x12.htm

Edited by ykw

I really doubt they'll go that spicy...heh.  

I kinda like the new ending conceptually. I don't know that making it a dream guts it really.  It's not doing a St. Elsewhere rug pull on me by doing that.

Pacing wise it needs something more.  At San Antonio you could hear the blooing of the crowd in the gap and it sort of started to tie the segments together, but I'm not sure it's enough to make it work.  That said, If that's the 'final version' of the ending, they introduced it WAY earlier than previous season's ending revisions and...that makes me think they're not done with that.

27 minutes ago, oakroom said:

The very first words of the narration are "I had this trippy dream" so...?

I feel like "trippy dream" gives a lotta latitude for interpretation. It could be dream-like experience I had while tripping, it could be a dream I had of tripping. 

I mean, what if you completely upend it...and dude THOUGHT he was dreaming, but turns out he's awake, learning all these lessons...thinking it was the comfort of a dream, but he's just getting driven to the hospital to get his stomach pumped...or something. 

JK - I recognize that. And, I recognize that just as easy as the audio file loadeth, the audio file can changeth. 

And, ultimately, it's not the end of the world...obviously. The construction of the show and performers make the show great, top to bottom - whether it's all a dream, or not. I guess the question is what, conceptually, gives me the feels in that final moment? Does the shock back to reality from the dream gimme that M. Night Shymalan moment (6th sense version and maybe Signs...none of that other stuff)? Or, not? If not, what will? And, for the sake of DCP - don't hang on the M. Night reference - I know they're not going for a suspense surprise plot-twist - but, more about the sense of finality and satisfaction that can come from a "down" ending. Is tricky y'all...I don't envy the people who have to collectively thread that needle, while it's still in the haystack. And, the haystack is on fire. 

19 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I really doubt they'll go that spicy...heh.  

I kinda like the new ending conceptually. I don't know that making it a dream guts it really.  It's not doing a St. Elsewhere rug pull on me by doing that.

Pacing wise it needs something more.  At San Antonio you could hear the blooing of the crowd in the gap and it sort of started to tie the segments together, but I'm not sure it's enough to make it work.  That said, If that's the 'final version' of the ending, they introduced it WAY earlier than previous season's ending revisions and...that makes me think they're not done with that.

They're totally Bobby Ewing-ing us. HAHA...jk - I just couldn't resist the completely dated and ridiculous throwback. 

dallas-bobby-ewing.gif

• Haha 1