Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

The "Over Under" should be something that is attached as a poll to every thread. I usually go with "How many pages will it go before the thread is derailed and go wildly off topic." 

And before anyone says it, YES...yes I am one of the people who commonly derails threads. I am damaged from teaching "adults" for the last 23 years and have the mental focus of a grapefruit at this point. 

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z9N1qDg1jhphUYZkXP/giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 2

Did not know until they announced it that the Guardians have relocated from Houston to Dallas/Fort Worth.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

I’m sorry but I think you are taking an issue with the wrong people here. 

apart from the vast, vast majority of members in world class corps being 18+, it is NOT an issue of revealing clothing. It is just the human bodies we were born with. The issue is the people sexualizing people wearing something revealing fully knowing they shouldn’t be doing that. 

Im sure you didn’t mean it, but that response to Terri’s story seems more like victim blaming. The clothes and costumes the guards wear nowadays has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with the gross people that sexualize them

You’re right. These old codgers were drooling over the tiniest bit of cleavage.   It wasn’t even revealing.  It was a stretch top with a scoop neck. So it wasn’t like a parade of flesh, not that it matters if it was.  Control yourself. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think the turning-point for dealing with injured member on the field was 2005 Kilties at DCA prelims.  

Like DCA not having medical personnel on site?

• Like 1

Guardians are the only Open Class doing this show then?  I know its customary for the Cali corps to tour extensively in California then skip to Atlanta and push to Indy.   Spartans tends to do the same for the Northeast.  

I’m impressed with Guardians so far!  

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m sorry but I think you are taking an issue with the wrong people here. 

apart from the vast, vast majority of members in world class corps being 18+, it is NOT an issue of revealing clothing. It is just the human bodies we were born with. The issue is the people sexualizing people wearing something revealing fully knowing they shouldn’t be doing that. 

Im sure you didn’t mean it, but that response to Terri’s story seems more like victim blaming. The clothes and costumes the guards wear nowadays has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with the gross people that sexualize them

Oof. Victim blaming would be if the performers had the autonomy to choose their costumes. They don't.

In this case, I am in no way dismissing culpability of those who sexualize performers. My background is in mandated reporting as it interfaces with youth dance, so I'm keenly aware of how this plays out across the performing arts.

It doesn't matter if the vast vast majority are over 18. If one young person is put in a costume that they don't feel comfortable in OR that the designer knowingly creates to be revealing it's a problem. It's also generally unnecessary in most of the cases I've seen it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcikon2 said:

I don't know what takes place in other forums on the Internet, but I don't understand why members or fans bash certain corps.  I remember in '94 when talking to Phantom Regiment members while on tour with the Cadets how people were saying awful things about them on DCP.  I have seen this happen against many corps throughout the years.  I am not that technologically advanced.  I don't have a cell phone and don't even know how to hit the ignore button!  I am a work in process!

This sadly is something that happens among fan bases of anything but I’ll say drum corps fans and alumni #### on their own in the top echelons of #### posting 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 1