Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

Total Eclipse of the Heart is working for me. Moving it from ballad to a bit of a jam here.

Putting the pit and DM on the 40 then staging everyone on the opposite 40 with the 50 as ‘movement space’ works well.

52 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Joel 'Lothar' Magnuson was a mellophone w/ Kilties Sr Corps.  At DCA prelims, he had a heart attack just before the push at the end of the opener.  DM put Corps to parade rest & then they filed off.  There was a cardiologist in the stands who was on-scene in less than a minute along with paramedics etc.  They were able to get a pulse for a few minutes but were not able to save him.

The stadium was silent. No one wanted to watch but no one could bring themselves to leave their seats. 

that the corps came back out to perform later was amazing and the crowds reaction was incredible. 

the run they were having when he went down would have gotten them In finals. But the emotion in the second run was one of the most passionate performances I’ve ever witnessed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Oof. Victim blaming would be if the performers had the autonomy to choose their costumes. They don't.

In this case, I am in no way dismissing culpability of those who sexualize performers. My background is in mandated reporting as it interfaces with youth dance, so I'm keenly aware of how this plays out across the performing arts.

It doesn't matter if the vast vast majority are over 18. If one young person is put in a costume that they don't feel comfortable in OR that the designer knowingly creates to be revealing it's a problem. It's also generally unnecessary in most of the cases I've seen it.

I’m of the opinion that while these marchers are on the younger side, they are all adults paying an exorbitant amount of money to participate in a fully voluntary activity. If they take objection to a costume they have to wear, whether it be due to how tight it is against their body, or how much of their body it shows, they should simply choose to not participate. I understand the need for inclusion, but at the same time the uniforms that one wears while performing can really positively alter the psyche of the performer and get them more into character. If the majority are fine with or even happy with the costume they have to wear, why should they be subjected to the whims of the select few people who are not comfortable with it? 

I do agree that generally, revealing costumes are not necessary, but if it helps people get into character, then why not? 

• Like 2

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

10 snares is ambitious for Open class 😮 

There is no shortage of percussionists wanting slots in corps this summer it seems.  Fruits of the strength of the indoor activity.  

35 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

If you would have heard the comments I had to endure about the young women in the guard in Capital Sound in 2000… I was absolutely mortified.  These men were old enough to be their grandfathers.  And no amount of shaming them made it stop. Neanderthals. 

I remember the Kristi Spears comments 

• Like 2