AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Heavy on the novacaine please

Always! (Well, technically not Novocaine though!) I’m good at it too— sometimes patients ask me after the fact when am I going to give the shot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Always! (Well, technically not Novocaine though!) I’m good at it too— sometimes patients ask me after the fact when am I going to give the shot.

gas works too

5 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Here's some lore to drive my point home. I know DCPers will understand.

Y'all know that Scheherazade put a stop to the sultan, a serial murderer, from executing every new wife he took right? The show was not romantic, nor passionate, nor about attraction... it depicted a clever ruse by someone smart enough to troll a king with no clothes on, and save future women from seemingly-inevitable murder. I like to pretend that she killed him under the magic carpet and emerged with his sword; in this alternative interpretation, she's truly put an end to serial murder, not gotten in bed with it. The G-rated ending is that they married and lived happily ever after. ... even after he strangled her at the end of the closer. All shots but the multicam cleverly leave this part out.

Myron's drill kept the male characters locked up in straight lines and boxes, often with the drumline or hornline separating us from them in 04. The female characters were almost exclusively surrounded by round, swirling drill forms. Not all abuse comes from men, period, but that was his clearest way of depicting the need to contain abuse and harm. And, given the abstract nature of all other shows he wrote drill for, this was his only chance to depict anything like this so clearly. We never came close to speaking about it together before he passed to the next world, but I see it plain as day now in his drill. Like a message in a bottle. He was a master at that.

Putting the sword down at the end was not written into the show, I did that. For a reason. I didn't want to hold up any weapon at the end of that show. So I didn't ask... I just did it on finals night. It was also a big snub to my abusers and their enablers that will live forever in history. I attempted to model the rejection of harm and violence in a single act for my 15 seconds.

I really really don't take my place in drum corps history lightly. Myron himself wove me into the fabric of this industry whether I like it or not.

I am having the idea for a show that combines this plot line, but somehow includes the Sultan DM (who is an abuser) being slain by Scheherazade 2008 Phantom-style.  And while we're at it, lets include the prom scene from Carrie to take care of the enablers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Or, as a kind DCPer recommended, a V for Vendetta show.

But truly, I like the softer side of the Vanguard spectrum. The triumphant side. The ones where most of the corps ends together. I think that's where they're headed for the years to come. At least, I hope so.

V for Vendetta is good too, but I also like incorporating the Carrie idea - not sure how to pull it off.

• Like 1

Hello friends, old and new.  Long time lurker here, and first time commenter.  I think it’s time.  But I’ll keep it brief.  And I probably won’t respond.  

I’m a survivor of sexual abuse, which was perpetrated on me when I was under 18, and on tour.  In fact, it was a very high profile case at its time.  

I will never speak up about what happened.  Why?  Because everyone already knows.  They were there.  Many saw it.  Some made half ###ed attempts to stop it, then ignored it for months afterwards.  And because my abuser(s) enjoy the fraternity that is DCI, without repercussion.  Nor will they ever face any consequences.  They have friends that have stood beside them and behind them for decades, despite knowing what he did.  This is the reality.  I’m disposable.  He’s their “friend.”  

Now here’s where I really drop a bomb.  I pay an attorney an annual retainer, regarding a different abuse, which occurred decades later.  After hitting a rough patch with my health, and consequently finances, a top 12 Corps board member, and my former drum major during the time of my original abuse, reached out asking if he could help.  He then solicited me for prostitution, for $1000 for the night, while his wife was out of town.  And he was dumb enough to do it in writing.  I don’t expect to do anything with that communication (though I sometimes fantasize about dropping it off at his wife’s office).  But it stays safely in an attorney’s care, because someday I might just get angry enough about the fact that I can’t go have fun at Allentown with my fellow alums, because he’s there.  What a joke I’d be to him if I showed up now.  I refuse to be that joke.  

My parents marched drum corps.  My siblings did.  I lived and breathed DCI from age 4-18.  I spent many, many summers marching with top 25 and top 12 corps.  But my kids will never go near this activity.  And I will never give them my money.  Not one corps, nor DCI.  I won’t go to shows, I won’t promote the activity to friends, and I’m certainly not changing my FB profile pic.  I’m not proud of my years, or my hard work, or my medals or rings.  I’m ####### disgusted.  The whole activity is tainted for me.  This includes all those happy years of being a spectator as a kid, and being in awe of the big top 12 corps, and that desire that drove me to be one of them someday.  All garbage to me now.  Because I’m nothing more than a prostitute to some former DM who watched me get abused decades ago.  

I appreciate this convo, and while my tone is ripe with anger and bitterness and remorse, it’s hard to convey that I actually really do respect many aspects of the activity.  And fans and alum like you all, who care enough to continue these conversations on behalf of the kids, are truly the bright spot.  So please keep fighting this good fight.  But count me out.

• Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Oldalum said:

Hello friends, old and new.  Long time lurker here, and first time commenter.  I think it’s time.  But I’ll keep it brief.  And I probably won’t respond.  

I’m a survivor of sexual abuse, which was perpetrated on me when I was under 18, and on tour.  In fact, it was a very high profile case at its time.  

I will never speak up about what happened.  Why?  Because everyone already knows.  They were there.  Many saw it.  Some made half ###ed attempts to stop it, then ignored it for months afterwards.  And because my abuser(s) enjoy the fraternity that is DCI, without repercussion.  Nor will they ever face any consequences.  They have friends that have stood beside them and behind them for decades, despite knowing what he did.  This is the reality.  I’m disposable.  He’s their “friend.”  

Now here’s where I really drop a bomb.  I pay an attorney an annual retainer, regarding a different abuse, which occurred decades later.  After hitting a rough patch with my health, and consequently finances, a top 12 Corps board member, and my former drum major during the time of my original abuse, reached out asking if he could help.  He then solicited me for prostitution, for $1000 for the night, while his wife was out of town.  And he was dumb enough to do it in writing.  I don’t expect to do anything with that communication (though I sometimes fantasize about dropping it off at his wife’s office).  But it stays safely in an attorney’s care, because someday I might just get angry enough about the fact that I can’t go have fun at Allentown with my fellow alums, because he’s there.  What a joke I’d be to him if I showed up now.  I refuse to be that joke.  

My parents marched drum corps.  My siblings did.  I lived and breathed DCI from age 4-18.  I spent many, many summers marching with top 25 and top 12 corps.  But my kids will never go near this activity.  And I will never give them my money.  Not one corps, nor DCI.  I won’t go to shows, I won’t promote the activity to friends, and I’m certainly not changing my FB profile pic.  I’m not proud of my years, or my hard work, or my medals or rings.  I’m ####### disgusted.  The whole activity is tainted for me.  This includes all those happy years of being a spectator as a kid, and being in awe of the big top 12 corps, and that desire that drove me to be one of them someday.  All garbage to me now.  Because I’m nothing more than a prostitute to some former DM who watched me get abused decades ago.  

I appreciate this convo, and while my tone is ripe with anger and bitterness and remorse, it’s hard to convey that I actually really do respect many aspects of the activity.  And fans and alum like you all, who care enough to continue these conversations on behalf of the kids, are truly the bright spot.  So please keep fighting this good fight.  But count me out.

you have every reason to feel as you do. i wouldn't begrudge you those feelings one bit. but i'm ######## enough to go public with the documentation

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Oldalum said:

Thank you for sharing what you did and I'm sorry for what you endured. I'm always ready to hear you and there are more out there like me. But feel no obligation... I just want you to know you're not alone.

I won't respond further unless you feel like continuing the conversation. I hope others will consider doing the same.

This allows this person's story to just be without our reflections or questions, which are not really helpful at this point.

Edit to add: this is not a reflection on comments above mine. Just my first thoughts.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

V for Vendetta is good too, but I also like incorporating the Carrie idea - not sure how to pull it off.

Red.  Lots of red.  

Think Crown 2015 inferno with the red see through scrim along with BAC's fire from Wicked Games and SOS.  

only more.

lots more.

• Thanks 1