Cultural Appropriation in Drum Corps

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I get it.  It doesn't hurt doing research...like ever.  Just, if you think that will negate people from "faux" insult for whatever reason, you will drive yourself insane trying to please everybody.  It's art man....it is what it is.

I don’t think you’re being belligerent in saying you find some of the outrage to be unfounded, there are also moments where I roll my eyes to what people ignore what could be a depth to what is being presented or have more context. It’s not right to be ignorant that culture intertwines heavily with the art we’re presenting, it’s also important that we can recontextualize art and culture as well to make a more broadly-reaching production if you don’t wanna be too specific and wanna have more universal appeal and theming. I think that’s perfectly fine as well

• Like 1

Just now, Tony Flores said:

I just eyerolled so hard, I now have a headache and I think one of my eyes are stuck. 

Then I'm not sure how or why you would continue to make your argument in this thread. Especially if you can't see straight anymore. You're verging on troll territory here, which is fine, but I'll happily block you.

• Like 3

The silk road was the route from western Europe to China which passed through Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Eastern Asia as originally established by Marco Polo and others. The clash of cultures and religions (Christianity/Islam) made that road difficult leading to the desire to find an alternate route by sailing west (Columbus). I see both middle eastern and Asian costumes and symbols represented in the Colts production this year. (Not just "Chinese").

Just my interpretations.

Just now, denverjohn said:

The silk road was the route from western Europe to China which passed through Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Eastern Asia as originally established by Marco Polo and others. The clash of cultures and religions (Christianity/Islam) made that road difficult leading to the desire to find an alternate route by sailing west (Columbus). I see both middle eastern and Asian costumes and symbols represented in the Colts production this year. (Not just "Chinese").

Just my interpretations.

That was honestly my take too, as it was such a geographically expansive route

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Then I'm not sure how or why you would continue to make your argument in this thread. Especially if you can't see straight anymore. You're verging on troll territory here, which is fine, but I'll happily block you.

oh no, my life is over 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

This thread is so white it's crazy. JMO.

That part. 

5 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Just my interpretations.

And that part too.

Not surprisingly, most of the outrage is coming from the usual suspects that complain about political correctness. 

Look at the original post. It's not as outrageous as many would like it to be. 

I thought the Colts uniform decision was a head scratcher, but I don't know what went into the design process. I don't look at the costuming and automatically assume the worst and assume that it's disrespectful, but in 2022, it's an odd choice.

But not as odd as 2009 Troopers, which gets a lot of love on here for its competitive result.

• Like 7