Wednesday, July 27th ... “DCI Little Rock” … War Memorial Stadium Little Rock, Arkansas Wednesday, July 27th ... 7:30 PM CT

I wish Phantom would put their helmets back on.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, MelloNell said:

Will that really help GE scores?

1 hour ago, Bneat said:

No arguments there - I think every tour...EVERY tour encounters its share of issues. I always return to, there's always a variant of the neighbor who don't like loud noises, and proudly displays his shotgun, and a sickness, and a personality clash between some collection of individuals or sections - it's literally what opens the door for infusing other life lessons into the tour experience, other than how to jazz run at 180 bpm while playing your instrument in the desert on 2 hours of cramped sleep. 

There are some constants in life and tour. 

I would maybe make the argument that while similar, and similar tactics used to solve the issues...the issues related to pandemic'y stuff is heavier - with consequences big and small that are beyond the aforementioned traditional magicians hat of issues. In the moment, on the tour though - I agree...you work each situation with the uniqueness of it all, apply your best brain cells to the solution, and make your way to Indy! 

Is that shotgun story for real?    If it is,  I'd like to hear more about that one.  Can't remember anyone brandishing weapons when I marched.

1 hour ago, MelloNell said:

I’ve moved on 400 years ago from the shako, Aussie, helmet etc debate but I do think nothing would complete them more than a helmet!! 

6 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Is that shotgun story for real?    If it is,  I'd like to hear more about that one.  Can't remember anyone brandishing weapons when I marched.

We had police called on us once when drum line was warming up (for parade) in a residential neighborhood at 745am on a Saturday. 

There is also story out there that in 1980 SoA was at New Orleans school (this was just before Jim Ott died).  Band director asked Ott to play Georgia aimed at specific house where lady would always complain about HS band being too loud. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There is also story out there that in 1980 SoA was at New Orleans school (this was just before Jim Ott died).  Band director asked Ott to play Georgia aimed at specific house where lady would always complain about HS band being too loud. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NakedEye said:

Oh no, Troopers hit too. 😩 At least they have the guard in the standstill. I’ve not been clear on why no one else has done that so far, so at least those members get to run their work before an audience as well, until it can be put in motion again. 

Probably because we would see 1 minute of flag or rifle work followed by 1 minute of pushing an invisible prop followed by 2 minutes of rifle or flag work followed by 2 minutes of pushing an invisible prop. Rinse, lather, repeat. Not very effective for a standstill performance. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, 27Socal said:

'Twas true. I couldn't tell you "where" we were - I think you really only know where you are on tour like 50% of the time...but, it was the West Coast year with champs in Pasadena. In these folks' defense (not that there is one) they were not prepared, historically, for 30-40 drum corps rolling through the amber waves of grain. 

So, he did what any logical, fair-minded, red-blooded American would do and sat on his motorcycle up the street, made some noise complaints to the local constable, and noticeably brandished his arsenal, ostensibly to shoot the sound as it invaded his territory. 

After quashing plans by the contra section to "take him out" we were able to win the locals over with the assistance of aforementioned local constable through our displays of audio-visual sorcery and extreme education. 

I lost track of the "situation" thereafter, but in my head he turned his gun around and defended us for the rest of the block, and we won over a new Drum Corps fan that day. I sincerely doubt that's how it actually ended, but it ties the experience up in my head. 

So, yea...'murica. 

13 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Can't remember anyone brandishing weapons when I marched.

That "missile-like objects" warning at Lucas Oil Stadium has to be there for a reason...