Finals Scores

It might also make things easier for those at the bottom end of each grouping. 

Let's say you do Prelims and narrowly get 12th place. You do the same thing again on Semis by the same margin, and you've made Finals! On Finals, you have a terrible run with electronics issues and there's ensemble tears and everything, so you crash and burn. Your average score now drops below the corps in 13th, are they now 12th? If so, should they get an extra show? Are they now considered a Finalist instead? 

Edited by FaustianMachine
  • Thanks 1

I can see both sides of it, but I think my view was more that the caption awards are determined by average so the champion should too. Obviously it doesn’t matter how they do it, but it would be interesting for sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, FaustianMachine said:

Let's say you do Prelims and narrowly get 12th place. You do the same thing again on Semis by the same margin, and you've made Finals! On Finals, you have a terrible run with electronics issues and there's ensemble tears and everything, so you crash and burn. Your average score now drops below the corps in 13th, are they now 12th? If so, should they get an extra show? 

I think that’s technically happened before. I feel like in the last 10 years it’s happened that the 12th place corps at finals scores lower than the corps that got 13th at semis. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I think averaging the three scores would likely be LESS interesting if after the first two nights it’s clear that it would be virtually impossible for another corps to score high enough to make the average work in their favor. One of the incredible things about finals night is how corps tend to find that extra little spark to make their performance extra special. So it’s even more spectacular when a corps comes from behind because of it.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a completely doubled panel for finals night though. 

true that. years like 1996 and 1999 and 2000 and 2008 and 2015 aren’t “the norm” BUT they happen just often enough for me to feel the suspense every single year!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

I think that’s technically happened before. I feel like in the last 10 years it’s happened that the 12th place corps at finals scores lower than the corps that got 13th at semis. 

Oh for sure, it's absolutely the norm. If I remember right, Phantom 19 was the only 12th place show in a while that didn't drop below 13th from the day before. I was just wondering if we would do this to do all rankings or just 1-3, since 12th place comes with a Finals spot, a Blu-Ray appearance, etc. 

I think the approach now is right.  Award captions based on consistent excellence.  For the winning corps, though, it has to be the best performance on the last night.  Some shows get exposed seeing them 3 nights in a row.  Yes, there can be individual judge variances, but 3 great examples come to mind - Phantom moving up each night in Orlando in 1996 to Tie BD on Saturday night when they were just FIRE that night, Phantom again doing the same thing in 2008, only getting the tiniest fraction ahead of a tie, and BD turning the tables to do it to Crown during Crown's Inferno year, when Crown left their best show on the field on Friday night.  That drama and reward for being the best on the very last night should never go away in my opinion.  

Harvey

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

Let's say you do Prelims and narrowly get 12th place. You do the same thing again on Semis by the same margin, and you've made Finals! On Finals, you have a terrible run with electronics issues and there's ensemble tears and everything, so you crash and burn. Your average score now drops below the corps in 13th, are they now 12th? If so, should they get an extra show? 

There have been countless times where a corps makes finals, then their finals score drops below the 13th or even 14th place corps prelims' score.