MURFREESBORO PREDICTIONS

42 minutes ago, Land of Tim said:

Let's see if there are any old school folks out there!:
I can't recall now if it was 1999 or 2000, but I think it was 1999. I and a couple of friends decided to trek to Murfreesboro for this show (before it was really "tour of champions" I think!), but still a great show.  We decided to stay in Nashville, and enjoy the weekend, driving down to M-boro for the show.

On the day of the show, we left Nashville mid-afternoon with plenty of time to get to Murfreesboro, eat dinner somewhere, and explore souvie booths, take in the show, etc.  But, alas, on the Interstate, I-24, somewhere about halfway in between, traffic came to a standstill in all lanes.  It was 90+ degrees outside.  We waited and waited.  We cut off the engines, got out of our cars, parked on  the interstate...all lanes were stopped.  Everyone was outside, playing volleyball in the median, going to the bathroom off the sides of the road, etc.  We walked at least 1.5 miles on the highway leaving our car behind, parked on the interstate, and back without traffic ever moving.  People were walking and talking all over the highway, many of whom were all headed to the show in Murfreesboro.  

Unfortunately, sadly, there had been a tragic wreck near an exit several miles down the road that involved several vehicles and blocked the entire highway.  I have never seen anything like it.  Eventually, a couple of hours later, traffic restarted and we got there, without dinner, but safely, about 1/3 or later into the show, and ate food at the stadium.  

I have never seen anything like this traffic-wise before or since.  I am so sad that it was due to a tragic accident, but I am still amazed at the number of cars on a multi-lane interstate, parked, engines off, for hours, and people out walking, talking, drinking beers, etc.  People I've told about this often think I'm telling a "tall tale", and this was before the era of cell phone photos and videos to document!! Anybody out there remember this??

" Hey gang, 'heard theres gonna be some cool bands performing this weekend up in a field near Bethel.  If we take Micky's VW bus fri., we can hop on the NY Freeway, beat the traffic, get a parkin' spot near the entrance. " weather's supposed to be pretty good. Wanna go ?   Close to a million music fans descending on Woodstock in August 1969 produced a 10-mile-long traffic jam on the New York Thruway that lasted the entire three-day festival. The atmosphere in the queue was relaxed, as you might expect, with passengers chatting to each other from the hoods of crawling cars and picnicking in the middle of the road. Though many turned back because of the traffic, many others abandoned their cars and walked the rest of the way. In the end, 500,000—ten times the anticipated number—made it through. The traffic had interesting consequences. Though the highest-profile performers were flown in by helicopter, others had to drive themselves. When the scheduled opener got stuck in traffic, organizers were desperate to find a performer who was both present and ready (i.e., not too stoned). After a Hog Farmer led the crowd in a yoga session, Richie Havens was sent on stage. He held the crowd for close to three hours. And when he ran out of songs, he improvised “Freedom,” which became an international hit. Above, music fans jam the highway leading from Bethel, New York on Aug. 16, 1969, as they leave the Woodstock Music and Art Festival.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 4

I can’t wait for the MTSU show!! We’re going to that and ATL this weekend. Stay dry!!

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Nope; pretty sure it was turf!  Not sure about the GSU stadium in ATL, but surely it's turf.  MTSU is turf.  So shouldn't be any drainage issues

cool. i was at the DCA experiment at Wake in 2005...it was real grass, and it rained before the show...a disaster

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Land of Tim said:

Let's see if there are any old school folks out there!:
I can't recall now if it was 1999 or 2000, but I think it was 1999. I and a couple of friends decided to trek to Murfreesboro for this show (before it was really "tour of champions" I think!), but still a great show.  We decided to stay in Nashville, and enjoy the weekend, driving down to M-boro for the show.

On the day of the show, we left Nashville mid-afternoon with plenty of time to get to Murfreesboro, eat dinner somewhere, and explore souvie booths, take in the show, etc.  But, alas, on the Interstate, I-24, somewhere about halfway in between, traffic came to a standstill in all lanes.  It was 90+ degrees outside.  We waited and waited.  We cut off the engines, got out of our cars, parked on  the interstate...all lanes were stopped.  Everyone was outside, playing volleyball in the median, going to the bathroom off the sides of the road, etc.  We walked at least 1.5 miles on the highway leaving our car behind, parked on the interstate, and back without traffic ever moving.  People were walking and talking all over the highway, many of whom were all headed to the show in Murfreesboro.  

Unfortunately, sadly, there had been a tragic wreck near an exit several miles down the road that involved several vehicles and blocked the entire highway.  I have never seen anything like it.  Eventually, a couple of hours later, traffic restarted and we got there, without dinner, but safely, about 1/3 or later into the show, and ate food at the stadium.  

I have never seen anything like this traffic-wise before or since.  I am so sad that it was due to a tragic accident, but I am still amazed at the number of cars on a multi-lane interstate, parked, engines off, for hours, and people out walking, talking, drinking beers, etc.  People I've told about this often think I'm telling a "tall tale", and this was before the era of cell phone photos and videos to document!! Anybody out there remember this??

and Nashville will be a zoo this weekend as WWE is there for Summerslam Saturday and all kinds of pro wrestling related events around the city all weekend

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

take it back!!! dont let the clouds hear you

I wish I could.  Currently there is a 70%+ chance of thunderstorms in Winston-Salem for Sunday night.  Not looking great for the next two nights as well in the Murph and Hotlanta.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and Nashville will be a zoo this weekend as WWE is there for Summerslam Saturday and all kinds of pro wrestling related events around the city all weekend

lord help us

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Reminds me of something funny. I live near Atlanta. Every year there is a huge comic book/gaming convention called DragonCon. It's a huge event, takes up multiple hotels and convention centers. One part is the annual DragonCon parade, where cosplayers of every kind imaginable descend on downtown for a parade and celebration of general geekery (we go every year, it' a blast).

A couple of years ago the date coincided with a big college football game. I believe it was UGA playing in the dome against a big rival, forget which one. Anyway, all the hotels downtown were packed with college football fans in town for the game. Here they are at the local bars and restaurants getting psyched up, testoterone flowing...   and every third person walking by is an elf, or a superhero, or Pikachu...   The look of bewilderment on some of their faces was priceless.

• Haha 2