Corps Rehearsal closings!

Ok so after a few calls whatever is roped up at Allentown is up to dci, which is the corps. While pretty much every corps has posted stuff about restrictions as a circuit, dci has not. So who knows what to expect 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

oh that totally already happened:

UGGGGH my absolute FAVORITE Cavies show! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

I agree 100%.  It’s also part of the problem.  Look how the NCAA is imploding for lack of real control, leadership and forward thinking. The professional sports leagues have a better balance of control between the owners and their league offices/commissioners (barely).  Not a clean analogy, I realize.  

For the sake of the activity and the welfare of the kids, a solution really needs to emerge where there is a bit more independence and oversight from DCI & the ED.  Especially when it comes to financial health, and more importantly, member health & welfare.  

The NCAA is imploding? 

10 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Unclear how staff and marching members watching performances from random seats in a packed audience fits into this strategy...

watched a bunch of them do this tonight. 

Saw it in Ft Collins as well. Thought it was strange.

Staff from my own house kinda blew past me too, even while in my corps jacket, star and all. Sorry, airing a little dirty laundry there.

You don't have to see the show from the stands to get a read, especially as staff who have better eyes than your average audience anyway. Also, watch the dang tapes. Easy fix.

12 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Unclear how staff and marching members watching performances from random seats in a packed audience fits into this strategy...

ugh

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, TenHut said:

The NCAA is imploding? 

As an operating entity and as an entity that can enforce any rules, the NCAA absolutely is imploding.  The big time college programs are running the show, or ignoring the show, and It's changing everything - NIL, unenforceable NIL shennanigans, conference alignments, playoff access, and if I have a guess, it will ultimately forever alter even the beloved March Madness.  Not to mention the body's inability to come up with a common sense answer to athletes having some type of funding to live & eat off of while on scholarship led to the Supreme Court cases & intervention that have forever changed the landscape of college sports and virtually abolished amateurism in the revenue generating sports.

The SEC commissioner, and to a lesser extent the Big 10 commissioner has more power than the NCAA governing body.  It's a shame.  

Anyway, I'm know I'm off topic, other than explaining my point in drawing parallels DCI & the ED not having any power to protect the activity from itself with member safety, inclusion, abuse, etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

This is a huge problem.  I saw it at every show I've seen this summer - with members, staff, volunteer support staff.  They can bubble all they want at rehearsals, and within their sites, but if the people in that bubble are out in packed stands and elsewhere it doesn't take many to catch something and bring it back into those crowded environments and then boom, you have 20,30,40, 50 people out at once.

Wait & relax that on Friday & Saturday night in Indy, when the ramifications for the next shows and next weeks of the season are a mute point.

I've heard some say there are mask requirements to address the above, but I've not seen any adherence to that, and as we all should know by now, masks do more to keep you from giving something to someone else than vice versa.

Harvey

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 6:13 PM, Tommeee said:

Every corps should do what they feel is best.  I'm not sure how it's DCI's fault (or Dan Acheson's fault) that Phantom had an outbreak after Detroit?  

Also, there's a big difference between corps kids mingling in the crowd, and fans sitting in a stadium during rehearsal.  There is ZERO increased chance of a corps kid getting COVID from fans sitting in a stadium, unless there is mingling going on.

I'm concerned about some of these "mitigation efforts".  I applaud any corps for wanting to keep everyone safe.  I just question whether the things that are being implemented are doing more harm than good.  

The first time I ever saw a drum corps live, was at a rehearsal.  It's an experience I will never, ever forget, because it was my FIRST live exposure.  Banning fans from rehearsals (especially if those fans are only sitting in the stands) seems like an elitist and short-sighted reaction to me.

"Bubbling" at this point makes total sense, even if it may seem overprotective to you.  There have been outbreaks, corps with several blanks and trying to isolate infected members from the corps, etc....major problems....and cases have risen steadily......staff will be in the stands where those fans are "only" seated, and all it takes is for one infected (but unaware) fan to infect one staff person who is moving around.....better to be "too safe" at this point.....NOBODY WANTS this, but protecting the members so they have the best chance of finishing the season without an outbreak, is certainly not "elitist or short-sighted".....especially at this time.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

ugh

Agree

47 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

This is a huge problem.  I saw it at every show I've seen this summer - with members, staff, volunteer support staff.  They can bubble all they want at rehearsals, and within their sites, but if the people in that bubble are out in packed stands and elsewhere it doesn't take many to catch something and bring it back into those crowded environments and then boom, you have 20,30,40, 50 people out at once.

Wait & relax that on Friday & Saturday night in Indy, when the ramifications for the next shows and next weeks of the season are a mute point.

I've heard some say there are mask requirements to address the above, but I've not seen any adherence to that, and as we all should know by now, masks do more to keep you from giving something to someone else than vice versa.

Harvey

Totally agree........DCI should have made a rule FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON that staff can not go up into the stands at a contest, should have a designated standing area for the staff (they usually do have that) and keep  them distanced from folks......I am going to East, so I will be curious to see if I see staff going up the aisle,,,,I will be down low off the 50, so I will be able to see.....I would bet a C note that I will see many maskless staff running up those stairs for performances  throughout the night (though I hope that I am wrong)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1