Corps Rehearsal closings!

I’m putting myself on record to say this to anyone who might have gotten the wrong idea from me personally:

Please DO NOT attend ANY rehearsal where it is the expressed wishes/policy of the corps to have closed reahearsals!  

Please DO NOT disrespect any corps.

I will be at Allentown this weekend.  But I will NOT be attending any rehearsal or warmup that is supposed to be closed to the public.  Out of respect for others, I WILL be wearing a mask.  And I will also be purchasing numerous corps souvies.  😄

• Like 1

If staff or anybody else is mingling with the general public and not taking precautions then corps management is not doing their job. But this shouldn’t be an excuse for anyone else to ignore health protocols 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CFC1905 said:

1. Not saying I fully agree with the poster in question, but your first comment comes off as very “high horse.” People have the right to their opinion even if it doesn’t align with yours. 

2. free speech much? 

1) Corps have the right to restrict access to rehearsal sites, much like a tenant has the right to restrict access to their apartment/condo/etc from the general public. If a corps has expressed the desire to bubble up; you can either respect it or possibly enjoy the hospitality of the local jurisdiction  

2) DCP is a privately hosted forum, the 1st amendment does not apply. Read the terms of service upon signing up. 

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Toby said:

1) Corps have the right to restrict access to rehearsal sites, much like a tenant has the right to restrict access to their apartment/condo/etc from the general public. If a corps has expressed the desire to bubble up; you can either respect it or possibly enjoy the hospitality of the local jurisdiction  

2) DCP is a privately hosted forum, the 1st amendment does not apply. Read the terms of service upon signing up. 

Corps only have as much rights as the hosting school grants them. When corps X stays at a high school, they do not have authority over every square inch of the property. I stayed at many schools where sports teams were running stadiums during rehearsal. Are you telling me a corps will tell the football team, “no you can’t run stadiums or laps while we are here?”

1 hour ago, CFC1905 said:

I don’t quite understand if a corps even has the right to close off the bleachers of a high school stadium. I mean, they don’t own the stadium. If the host school closes off the bleachers, that’s a different matter. 

Same with parking lot warmups. Not sure a corps can dictate or enforce who can stand in a public space. 

Something that they probably work in tandem with their hosts to ensure happens, school events in that same regards have events all the time with restricted entry through the means of purchase or whatever else, campus and district security exists to ensure the security and safety of the events. I’m not gonna act like I know all of the particulars of closing off public spaces, but am I going to look at the corps sideways if they wish to have private rehearsals, no. I’m gonna look at the people that wish to act against the corps and memberships’ wishes a lot more sideways than the corps’ actions for #### sure. There’s a week left in the season, for goodness’ sake

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CFC1905 said:

I don’t quite understand if a corps even has the right to close off the bleachers of a high school stadium. I mean, they don’t own the stadium. If the host school closes off the bleachers, that’s a different matter. 

Same with parking lot warmups. Not sure a corps can dictate or enforce who can stand in a public space. 

Is the legality really the point here?  Drum Corps has been criticized (rightly so) for not protecting its members.  Then when they try to do so they don't have "the right".  

I hope you and everyone else that gets close to these kids gets arrested for trespassing. 

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Is the legality really the point here?  Drum Corps has been criticized (rightly so) for not protecting its members.  Then when they try to do so they don't have "the right".  

I hope you and everyone else that gets close to these kids gets arrested for trespassing. 

Who’s talking about getting close to the kids? I’m talking about sitting 50 freaking yards away from any MM, way up in the bleachers. The football team can run stadiums but a parent can’t sit quietly in the same exact bleachers? 

I personally am not attending any rehearsals, but I will defend someone’s right to be in an open-air public space.  

• Like 1