Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

7 hours ago, 27Socal said:

If a judge already has an opinion about a corps,  they tend to keep that opinion unless there is a huge performance difference,  which isn't very likely at this level.

Recalling when finals judge and DCI Hall of Famer John Phillips stopped by a band I was teaching and said he would never give Cadets good scores because he didn't like their visual style

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FTNK said:
7 hours ago, 27Socal said:

If a judge already has an opinion about a corps,  they tend to keep that opinion unless there is a huge performance difference,  which isn't very likely at this level.

Recalling when finals judge and DCI Hall of Famer John Phillips stopped by a band I was teaching and said he would never give Cadets good scores because he didn't like their visual style

This is a good example of why I don't value scores except as ONE, POSSIBLE method for understanding and developing a show.

I'm still convinced that visual judges are not qualified to judge and support extended movement vocabularies in corps. I don't say that just because I think SC's score is suffering from this, although that's important to note, given their high choreo demand. Other corps with killer choreo like BD and Bloo suffer as well.

If a judge is not experienced enough in choreography (not just the moves themselves but how they are layered and what they may represent), then they don't have the eyes to give full credit for book or achievement. How do you score 6 different movement phrases across the field???? You need the training to understand them.

I'm not surprised to see SC fall in this gap. I just hope they don't pull back on choreo in the future just because they're not getting credit for it.........

• Like 1

The difference between the four GE judges is proof that GE is in the eyes of the judge. It’s like two different corps performed.

Very frustrating, DCI.

What do you tell the designers at Bluecoats to do?

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Basically, Bluecoats’ finish pretty much depends on who is judging GE.

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Same for SC, apparently....

Given the weight of GE- you can say this for any year where corps are very close in member talent level and achievement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The difference between the four GE judges is proof that GE is in the eyes of the judge. It’s like two different corps performed.

Very frustrating, DCI.

Keep doing what they are doing.

1. They usually medal

2. The fans as a whole love to see them

3. Young fans and prospective members especially love it- so they continue to attract elite talent and compete at the top level.

4. If people like the show they are more inclined to donate to the organization and/or buy merch

It's like some of those 70s-90s Madison shows that were always competitive and the most well loved- but you know weren't going to bring home gold.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Very frustrating, DCI.

I'm a little frustrated too. SC in a solid 5th except for Chumly who puts them in 2nd for GE? I'd like to think Chumly's leaving the door open for improvement, but screw those others judges who can't see that their new tag ending is the final piece missing for GE clarity in this show. Ugh...

As for Bloo, they should say screw the judges and scores because their creative product will stand the test of time. Once the judges have all gone home, Bloo can rest assured that they won over hearts and changed the activity forever.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

That guy needs "a shave & a haircut" 😁

Drummer jokes for the win!

• Haha 1