Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Different shows, different nights. Don't bet on it in Indy.

Same judging panel both nights.  That's the important part of this.

For those waiting on Prelims order, I did the math! 

In reverse order of appearance:

Blue Devils

Boston Crusaders

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

Santa Clara Vanguard

The Cadets

Blue Stars

The Cavaliers

Mandarins

Phantom Regiment

Crossmen

Colts

Blue Knights

Troopers

Madison Scouts

The Academy

Music City

Pacific Crest

Genesis

Jersey Surf 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

There is not. Good grief, we say it for a reason. You cannot compare scores from different nights. It doesn't matter if the judging panel is the same. Everything else is different. They are comparing different corps, which leads them to their numbers. They cannot compare BD last night to Crown tonight. It's entirely impossible. There has never been any type of doctrine set at Allentown and it's absurd to claim so.

Hate to break it to you but seems like this has to be explained EVERY year on here...Allentown is indeed judged as a single regional. It's the same judges that are judging the same captions as if it's a single event. DCI has itself explained this before and it's been like this ever since I marched over 10 years ago. Doesn't matter if one night has a completely soaked field with 30 mph winds and the next night has a completely clear and perfect night with no wind, it's all judged as if it was all happening on the same night.

Any other event, you would be right. But not for Allentown. Here's a quick link that took me 2 seconds to google showing it explained on the DCI site a few seasons ago: Recap Roundup: DCI Eastern Classic (Allentown)

1 hour ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

At different shows on different nights… less interesting

Same stadium, same judging panel.  Interesting

8 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Same judging panel both nights.  That's the important part of this.

It's irrelevant. Everything else is different. When a judge awards a 9.6 it's not rewarded entirely based on criteria. A huge part of it is based on what the judge gave the previous corps. A judge cannot compare BD last night to Vanguard tonight. It's impossible.

2 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Same stadium, same judging panel.  Interesting

Supposed to be the same show in two days, and I think for the most part the judges did ok. But I really question Crossmen's and Troopers' big jump over Colts and BK. Crossmen are not 2 pts better than the Colts and only 2 pts behind Phantom. And that is where I think the judges may have had a temporary brainfart. But I do hope Troopers being back to almost full strength again truly did put them back in the race for finals. Can you imagine a Finals with Colts AND Troopers?? 

7 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Hate to break it to you but seems like this has to be explained EVERY year on here...Allentown is indeed judged as a single regional. It's the same judges that are judging the same captions as if it's a single event. DCI has itself explained this before and it's been like this ever since I marched over 10 years ago. Doesn't matter if one night has a completely soaked field with 30 mph winds and the next night has a completely clear and perfect night with no wind, it's all judged as if it was all happening on the same night.

Any other event, you would be right. But not for Allentown. Here's a quick link that took me 2 seconds to google showing it explained on the DCI site a few seasons ago: Recap Roundup: DCI Eastern Classic (Allentown)

We're talking about two different things. Yes, DCI said it's a single regional. That still doesn't mean Crown is ahead of Boston and Bluecoats or beat Boston and Bluecoats at Allentown. They performed yesterday and were compared to BD. Crown performed today and was compared to Cadets and Vanguard. Case in point - 2019. Crown never beat Vanguard head-to-head yet they outscored them at Allentown.

I don't care if God says it's so, it ain't so. It's impossible for any judge to judge a set of corps one night comparing them to a set of different corps from the night before.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

It's irrelevant. Everything else is different. When a judge awards a 9.6 it's not rewarded entirely based on criteria. A huge part of it is based on what the judge gave the previous corps. A judge cannot compare BD last night to Vanguard tonight. It's impossible.

Corps from the previous night count as “the previous corps” at Allentown, that’s all we’re trying to say. The judges start the two nights knowing this. Scores tonight were given with scores from yesterday in mind.

Whether its objectively possible is a separate question, although I’m not sure judging all of these corps in the same night is so much less ridiculous, given the number of groups we’re comparing. 

Edited by saxfreq1128

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

BOA Super Regionals are done this exact way. Bands are spread out over 2 days with the same judges with those scores over both days deciding who moves on to finals...

I think DCI judges can do the same...

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Supposed to be the same show in two days, and I think for the most part the judges did ok. But I really question Crossmen's and Troopers' big jump over Colts and BK. Crossmen are not 2 pts better than the Colts and only 2 pts behind Phantom. And that is where I think the judges may have had a temporary brainfart. But I do hope Troopers being back to almost full strength again truly did put them back in the race for finals. Can you imagine a Finals with Colts AND Troopers?? 

Exactly. It's not a brain fart. The only thing consistent is the judges. Everything else is different.