Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Is the brass under cloth things supposed to look like a nudibranch?

A  google search of that could have gone in a whole other direction

3 minutes ago, brassboy said:

No, it's the average of San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown. I think Troop still averages 14th.

...which is a pretty weird rule, if you ask me.

27 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Corps from the previous night count as “the previous corps” at Allentown, that’s all we’re trying to say. The judges start the two nights knowing this. Scores tonight were given with scores from yesterday in mind.

Whether its objectively possible is a separate question, although I’m not sure judging all of these corps in the same night is so much less ridiculous, given the number of groups we’re comparing. 

Not only do they "have "scores in mind" but I believe they each have a tote sheet which includes the actual scores they gave each corps from the previous night.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I get that, but you can't look at scores tonight and come to any conclusions about where corps from either night would have placed if everyone was together. You can't say Crown beat BAC or Bluecoats at Allentown because they didn't. That doesn't mean they won't at finals, it just means one can't jump to conclusions like some many did in 2019 with the "Crown passed SCV" comments every where on the Crown thread. Crown never beat SCV head-to-head in 2019 and head-to-head is all that matters.

You keep pointing to 2019 and Crown/SCV. In Allentown, Crown's score was less than 0.1 ahead of SCV's from the previous night. At Finals, SCV finished less than 0.1 ahead of Crown. It is entirely conceivable that Crown on Saturday was ever-so-slightly better than SCV was one night prior. You've really picked this hill to die on and I don't know why. No one is disagreeing that the logistics of treating it as one show are shaky, but the fact of the matter is that the INTENT is that both nights are treated as a single show. That's all everyone is saying.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

But why is that ridiculous? At finals in 2019, SCV only beat Crown by .037. So the idea of Crown beating SCV a week earlier at Allentown isn’t far fetched at all. It’s pretty consistent! 

Oh, I see you already brought this up. 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brassboy said:

You keep pointing to 2019 and Crown/SCV. In Allentown, Crown's score was less than 0.1 ahead of SCV's from the previous night. At Finals, SCV finished less than 0.1 ahead of Crown. It is entirely conceivable that Crown on Saturday was ever-so-slightly better than SCV was one night prior. You've really picked this hill to die on and I don't know why. No one is disagreeing that the logistics of treating it as one show are shaky, but the fact of the matter is that the INTENT is that both nights are treated as a single show. That's all everyone is saying.

Man… I feel like you are both right and not truly disagreeing. I mean, you both agree the judges intend on scoring the two nights against each other and you both agree that the results aren’t truly accurate.

Y’all need to shake hands or hug it out.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

For those waiting on Prelims order, I did the math! 

In reverse order of appearance:

Blue Devils

Boston Crusaders

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

Santa Clara Vanguard

The Cadets

Blue Stars

The Cavaliers

Mandarins

Phantom Regiment

Crossmen

Colts

Blue Knights

Troopers

Madison Scouts

The Academy

Music City

Pacific Crest

Genesis

Jersey Surf 

Ok, except i believe they use the average scores from all the regionals and randomly mix up the corps in each group of 3.

24 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

...which is a pretty weird rule, if you ask me.

Why is that weird?  Averages protect against using one score they may be out of line in one show from the rest of the season.  They've been doing it this way for years.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 1