Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

It's irrelevant. Everything else is different. When a judge awards a 9.6 it's not rewarded entirely based on criteria. A huge part of it is based on what the judge gave the previous corps. A judge cannot compare BD last night to Vanguard tonight. It's impossible.

It's very possible.  Nothing is different.  It's the same judge in each caption at the same stadium.  The judges have a listing of what they gave each corps the 1st night and fit the scores from the 2nd night into that list.  They have been doing it for years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

We're talking about two different things. Yes, DCI said it's a single regional. That still doesn't mean Crown is ahead of Boston and Bluecoats or beat Boston and Bluecoats at Allentown. They performed yesterday and were compared to BD. Crown performed today and was compared to Cadets and Vanguard. Case in point - 2019. Crown never beat Vanguard head-to-head yet they outscored them at Allentown.

I don't care if God says it's so, it ain't so. It's impossible for any judge to judge a set of corps one night comparing them to a set of different corps from the night before.

I probably would look at these scores more so to observe the spread that corps created between one another as one could potentially figure how the corps from the other night’s show might fit in that picture, purely speculative, and not declarative. From the GE perspective, it’s pretty incredible that Crown left so many points on the board(in the judges’ eyes) when it comes to what they achieve compared to their repertoire, probably something to be concerned about. Vanguard exceeded Crown’s repertoire scores from 3 of the 4 GE judges. If the judges thought that Crown’s repertoire gave them room to grow related to their achievement, that reflected score potentially would give them the tenths of points needed to contend with BD. Insert Boston and Bloo into the mix and that could really bite them and drag their score down, especially considering how compressed scores get when you’re at this point separating corps by tenths and hundredths of a point. At least in the Visual caption they’re getting high marks with room to grow, which is a considerable turnaround from the past several years, but in the music caption, they could potentially lose out entirely to BD, in EACH subcaption too, which would spell game over for them in potentially getting a medal. Especially if Bloo, Boston, and SCV(in percussion) also take chunks and placements away from them. This isn’t something I take away from this result alone but from previous large competitions as well with this large-sized judging panel

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

If a high school marching band did this, I’d probably enjoy it. But it’s just like… you’re Carolina Crown!! Top tier drum corps with stellar musicians and color guard, insane performance levels. Then, you pair it with that show. Why?! I want Crown to be amazing, I really do!!

Excluding the potential musical capabilities of a hs band, it still wouldn’t be my favorite show of the night most likely, at least the concept of it. I think the design team is thinking too much “wham” and “pop”, the effect that onomatopoeia has, but without a backbone to really resonate longer with you. Phantom is doing a much better job at this now recently again, Mandarins are, Blue Stars is, Cadets are again, Bloo is, SCV is, BD is, Boston is…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I’m so intrigued by this caption. I think Crown is really gonna make BD earn it, if it swings that way. 

I do really hope SCV can clean up some of their more intricate brass work because they should be in the running here IMHO. And beyond impressed by BAC hanging in there among so many proven greats. Bloo’s show is a lot harder than it seems, too. 

Kinda like 2019 there was a LOT to like about every hornline of the top 5. My rankings would probably be atm(purely personal preference okkkk)

1. BD

2. SCV

3. Boston(honestly could switch with SCV)

4. Crown

5. Bloo

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lawdn said:

To you as well! If you have Cincinnati chili, please be sure to post. 

I’ve had it many times.  I like the coneys with chili, mustard, cheese, no onion.  I like Camp Washington the best but we’ll probably go to Blue Ash chili because we’re staying there. 

• Like 2

Well, we had all decided (DCI) that we would have a band concert in Indy this week. (video reference)  But after reading the rest of the replies this morning, I'm canceling my trip. It seems that the 2022 championships are over; it's been decided; it's over; kaput.  #RememberTheProcess  

Also heard that it was going to be damp in Indy & there's spiders.  (enjoy the video)  :spitting:

(Actually, the Indy high temps = upper 70s at the end of the week!)  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hope you can meet Jim.  You guys would really hit it off.  

Unfortunately my wife and I are just attending Open Class Finals Monday and Tuesday. We are flying back home Wednesday. Wife has to work Thursday and Friday. 

Currently sitting in DFW airport on a 2 hour layover lol. We will be Indy around noon. 

I know Jim is a military man so it would be awesome to meet him one of these days, along with quite a few DCPers. You guys are like extended family lol. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Unfortunately my wife and I are just attending Open Class Finals Monday and Tuesday. We are flying back home Wednesday. Wife has to work Thursday and Friday. 

Currently sitting in DFW airport on a 2 hour layover lol. We will be Indy around noon. 

I know Jim is a military man so it would be awesome to meet him one of these days, along with quite a few DCPers. You guys are like extended family lol. 

Enjoy the shows!  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Well, we had all decided (DCI) that we would have a band concert in Indy this week. (video reference)  But after reading the rest of the replies this morning, I'm canceling my trip. It seems that the 2022 championships are over; it's been decided; it's over; kaput.  #RememberTheProcess  

Also heard that it was going to be damp in Indy & there's spiders.  (enjoy the video)  :spitting:

(Actually, the Indy high temps = upper 70s at the end of the week!)  

59 degrees over night Thursday. I’m going to freeze to death,