Finals Announcer

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

Brandt is iconic and does a great job (and I love how he introduced Troopers and Colts last night, much like how he introduced Mandarins in 2018). But somebody PLEASE help that guy correctly pronounce the DMs’ names. That was pretty hard to hear each night. Maybe corps can include phonetic spellings in the future (this honestly would help most announcers). 

I saw someone on Reddit imply he was a racist for this 🙄

1 minute ago, Trumpet2 said:

I saw someone on Reddit imply he was a racist for this 🙄

Oh yeah, that’s ridiculous. If I had to guess, I’d say that whatever he’s reading from needs to be printed larger. And I hope no one takes that comment to be ageist—everyone knows that the eyesight goes as we age. 

Just now, brassboy said:

Oh yeah, that’s ridiculous. If I had to guess, I’d say that whatever he’s reading from needs to be printed larger. And I hope no one takes that comment to be ageist—everyone knows that the eyesight goes as we age. 

I think that plus some kind of phonetic spelling like someone else mentioned would be beneficial for next season 

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

Maybe corps can include phonetic spellings in the future (this honestly would help most announcers). 

From experience, that absolutely is a help. Sean King and his YEA crew were great at providing that info to me. 

Heh... but even the best effort by any announcer to get the proper pronunciation doesn't always work. 

Once, I asked two staff members of a DCA corps to pronounce their DM's name. They both gave me the same pronunciation. Turned out they were both wrong. LOL.

When I could, I would directly ask a given DM for the correct info. But I know that's a lot easier to do at a smaller DCA show than a big DCI event. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trumpet2 said:

I saw his Facebook post from last night saying he isn’t retiring. I’m so glad 

early season i was worried. this weekend he killed it

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

DCI should give Brandt the opportunity to go as long he wants. 

It would be nice for him to go out at his circuit's big championship event as he sees fit.

Unlike someone else I know. 🙄😎😂

ya think?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

early season i was worried. this weekend he killed it

Agreed. He was excellent 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

Agreed. He was excellent 

How is it “excellent” to continually mispronounce names of people and shows?   I just don’t get it, I guess.

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

As long as my name isn’t Dumas, I wouldn’t be too concerned by it.  

Or Fuchs. 

• Haha 1