Carolina Crown 2023

32 minutes ago, karuna said:

Let's focus on Crown and leave others corps to the show threads and/or their respective threads.   Keep the peace and be kind!  

U5rkQ44.gif

Words/gif to live by. I’m sure folks recall the Saturday night massacre the mods had in CrownLAND last year. 

Keep it Crown, don’t get drawn into holes of hate, and get onboard with the program

This is a statement year. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, karuna said:

Just chatting about this elsewhere.  I think Crown needs to add something to the end before San Antonio.  Doesn't have to be the final end -- maybe just part of it.   They have a history of putting off the final changes until right before Murfreesboro (or sometimes before East). Giving the show a little push earlier would be common sense based on past history.  What say you Crownies? 

Nah. Clean the heck out of what they have. Ending change will come at usual time. There’s more than enough of this show to keep the heat on the completion until things get really serious. 

• Like 1

Just now, drumcorpsfever said:

Nah. Clean the heck out of what they have. Ending change will come at usual time. There’s more than enough of this show to keep the heat on the completion until things get really serious. 

Crown plays that game every season and it never works.  I'm ok with cleaning the heck out of things but give a little GE sprinkle at the end just to avoid "wow.  that's obviously not the real ending".  it's not how you want to leave the audience feeling (esp. the audience writing down numbers).  

First impressions + :Last impressions = most bang for the buck.  

Just my one tenth of a centavo.  

• Like 3

I can't wait to see what they have added and cleaned by this show tomorrow. I love to see the incremental changes from one show to another. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I can't wait to see what they have added and cleaned by this show tomorrow. I love to see the incremental changes from one show to another. 

My memory Cloud is very small compared to yours.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TOC said:

My memory Cloud is very small compared to yours.

Photographic memory here sorry. 

• Haha 1

I must be the rare person who likes the 9-pod Brass feature, even as I understand the complaints. I don’t think it’s boring. I think what gets boring is seeing everyone make these features into double-tonguing contests. That’s why I like this one. It’s showing off a different set of skills. 

I think what could maybe make it more exciting is making it more menacing, performance wise. Maybe the dynamics could be more extreme — exaggerating the softness of the soft parts even more, and make the loud parts harsher and more jagged. Show the judges that dynamic control is its own skill worth turning into a feature. Maybe they could also exaggerate the body movements during this part a little more, too — it could all be sharper.

I don’t think the feature should change. I think it’s enough to just PERFORM it more. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I like these ideas. Perhaps throw in a raspy, flutter tongue and put some BITE on those attacks. Dynamics would be killer. I want to see the darkness, drama, and heavy emotion portrayed by the visuals to match the intensity of the music.

i love me some raspy flutter tongue…. Lemme hear the rats scurrying in the dungeons! 

And make the big ensemble hit at the end BIGGER — I think there’s some terror and menace missing from this section and that’s a hard layer of achievement to get right, but it’s Crown, if anyone can do it they can. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I must be the rare person who likes the 9-pod Brass feature, even as I understand the complaints. I don’t think it’s boring. I think what gets boring is seeing everyone make these features into double-tonguing contests. That’s why I like this one. It’s showing off a different set of skills. 

I think what could maybe make it more exciting is making it more menacing, performance wise. Maybe the dynamics could be more extreme — exaggerating the softness of the soft parts even more, and make the loud parts harsher and more jagged. Show the judges that dynamic control is its own skill worth turning into a feature. Maybe they could also exaggerate the body movements during this part a little more, too — it could all be sharper.

I don’t think the feature should change. I think it’s enough to just PERFORM it more. 

One of the things I love most about this year show are the wonderful dynamics demonstrated by not only the brass, but the percussion line as well. To me, that’s a cut above anyone else this year.

• Like 4