Carolina Crown 2023

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

while scoring is an interesting discussion....

YOU'RE WAY OFF TOPIC!

My bad. Likely my fault!

13 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

I’m encouraged to hear of the care many judges go through to preserve the art and the credibility of the judging institution.  All judges are very skilled and trained. 

Im going to step out of the box though with some real talk as it’s statistically improbable that the scores today aren’t correlated with prior scores.  In sports like ice skating, gymnastics, cheerleading, etc there is variability in the scores between each competition—sometimes groups are higher and then they go lower. That level of variability is nearly none-existent in drum corp.  Also, night after night, the little fixes that go in would go virtually unnoticed unless someone had seen prior shows or knew the prior scoring and/or judging comments. Case in point, how would a judge know GE increased for Crown bc they changed drill at end of ballot without knowing what was there prior?  They wouldn’t. There would be no way of assessing that without prior knowledge of the show in some form.

Lastly, in order to believe the judging is so precise that the scores remain virtually the same with minor increases each night, we have to accept the entire judging committees interpretation of a shows visual and GE is exactly the same.  In what world does any committee or group universally agree on anything, especially scoring/rating artistic value?  And somehow we have to suspend our belief and say this group of judges manage agree on artistic merit all the way down to the tenths almost exactly the same score as the night before, and that happens almost every night with little deviation or correction over 2 months?  It’s statistically improbable and contrary to human nature.  But we love drum corp and the judges anyways. I just don’t want to pretend the judging is more accurate or unbiased than actuality. 

Well a few things. First I did state there are cases where of course judges see recaps from previous shows. It happens. It’s why there was a push a few years ago to hide full recaps. But I can assure you the judges aren’t going and looking at recaps to “pre judge”. That goes against the philosophy. 

Overall scores increase over time, but not always. Some scores go down. I could go do the analysis on every single sub caption and you’d see some go up and some go down, maybe all go up, maybe there’s stagnation. It’s why there’s multiple judges. But the philosophy is designed and taught for judges to be able to watch a performance and know “okay this is going to be in the bottom third of box 4” based on the criteria. 

Also, there isn’t an infinite amount of judges. These corps get seen by the same judges multiple times. Sometimes on different captions and sometimes on the same caption. Often both ways is the case. And any judge who judges at finals would have already seen all the corps at some point. The directors like that the finalist panels aren’t just viewing a program for the first time. 

No judge is beholden to a rule that you must increase your number from the prior score. That isn’t how that works. And I for one have ended up decreasing scores from a previous show. 

9 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Interesting!  Thank you for sharing.  And thanks to everyone for a cordial discussion. That could have easily gone sideways but it didn’t. Kudos!

Alright. Back to Crown talk. 😁

ps. It's really easy to start a new thread.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, karuna said:

Head count again?  Who's going to...

Same seats as last year👑

Edited by nsxanax
Spelling
  • Like 1

RrDtBef.jpg

9 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Same seats as last year👑

Like I’ve said before: pretty much my entire year’s discretionary income. 

Worth it…

• Like 1