Carolina Crown 2023

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Last I checked they won a championship with Hannum et al (should have been two IMHO). For 2023 the results speak for themselves. Not sure the show design helps percussion either. This was not a step forward. This is a step backward. Not all indoor percussion designers translate well to the big stadium. 

They won that championship despite Hannum, not because of him. Harsh, but true. They probably lost 2015 in large part due to him as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

After being a part of the forum, it's no wonder why so many Crown fans jumped ship.

I'm sorry, but I think you're being a bit overly sensitive. It's an emoji. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Putting my tinfoil hat on:

Perhaps Crown has a hard time recruiting top percussion talent because of the heavy emphasis Crown as a corps puts on its brass? I mean, going past the fact that people have made literal highlight reels on youtube titled "God's hornline" and in the past few years many on DCP said "well atleast we got the Ott this season," it does seem Crown's social media team also does place quite a bit of emphasis on the brass. This season might be one of the first ones where I've seen them give the percussion some attention, and that too its mostly just the drumline, not the front ensemble. That could make a difference for potential members mentally

I seriously doubt some DCP posts and YouTube titles had any effect on where someone chooses to march. I do agree Crown isn't really regarded as a destination for a high level percussion players in the same way that BD, Bloo or Vanguard is. Perhaps the possibility of changing that culture is where the excitement of having the Broken City team comes in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

I seriously doubt some DCP posts and YouTube titles had any effect on where someone chooses to march. I do agree Crown isn't really regarded as a destination for a high level percussion players in the same way that BD, Bloo or Vanguard is. Perhaps the possibility of changing that culture is where the excitement of having the Broken City team comes in.

DCP sure, but you underestimate just how much "advertising" is done through Youtube for these corps. For as many videos that are taken down, plenty are left up and very few videos about Crown highlight their percussion compared to their brass. And as I said, Crown's own social media team in the past has put a ton of emphasis on the brass and very little on the percussion. That makes a difference, it shows where their priorities lie. Thankfully they seem to be moving in the right direction in that regard this season, but it will take time to build that culture. I agree that the new staff is a step in the right direction

Said since day 1:  Crown's choice of musical interpretation, specifically in the battery, is high-risk as the broad, Scottish-style, left hand pick-ups are notoriously "fat" sounding.  The risk is that certain judges will be on board from a musical standpoint, and give credit for stylistic interpretation (vocab first, then achievement) while others may emphasize clarity (achievement) first, which is not as easily achieved with the multitude of legato-written passages (especially in the battery). 

My feeling is that judges like Jeff Ausdemore (who is not judging this year) would give Crown credit for their commitment to the style, and would add even more credit in the vocabulary caption for the concert-hall quality of the writing in the keys (and tympani).  IMO, he is an "education" guy.  

On the other hand, Mike Davis (Little Rock judge) is a clarity-first person who may not (yet) be buying into the interpretation because it may not appear (to him) to be (1) authentic enough, (2) consistently delivered for the duration of the program (8.1 in achievement suggests this is probably true) and (3) might be more apt to credit it from a vocabulary standpoint once the group dials in the left-hand pickups with more accuracy.  In other words, he is a "drum corps" guy.  

Crown's percussion score may depend largely on which type of judge is assigned.  This week will give the corps plenty of opportunities to hear from both sides. 

Edited by joe c
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh that's a good take.  More detailed than what I can give as to the 'whyfore' of it all but yeah. That was my sense too.  What crown is doing is difficult and stylistically different than a lot of the activity and its history.   Until they can clean and pull it off with salesmanship, it may not get fully rewarded.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm sorry, but I think you're being a bit overly sensitive. It's an emoji. 

That comment wasn't about an emoji. It's about several different things about this forum that I don't think people are ready to open yet, including how some people want to act like Thread Police and Father Figure Frank.

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2023 at 4:58 PM, Flguardman said:

Watching a video finally uploaded! They really didn’t have anything new except some guard layering changes in the beginning flag and work here and there! I can see they focused on cleaning a lot. They didn’t use the opening table again even though we saw pictures of it at their rehearsal. So my guess is somethings coming with that soon and no new ending debut yet either. All in all they definitely focused on cleaning what they have a lot which is evident in their achievements. Guard was The Cleanest I’ve seen them so far. 

I can definitely tell they let the brass blow this time though. Sounded MUCH louder in the impact moments. Also might be the reason why brass had an off night in the ballad. The herald trumpets and muted trumpets were MUCH cleaner though. And they really need to clean that stationary brass feature in movement 2. Percussion was also off in the ballad and may have contributed to their lower score. 

• Like 2