Carolina Crown 2023

15 minutes ago, karuna said:

No thought processes involved on DCP!!   But it's all good; posters honk (just like we do).  Some don't like to admit it and preface their posts with silly things like "I've been watching drum corps for X years and in my unbiased opinion Y corps is going to win DCI this year".  Which -- no matter what anyone says -- is clearly honking for your corps.  So don't fret over predictions.  Ever since 2013 people have been putting Crown "out of contention".   Simple fact: if your corps in moving UP, someone else's corps needs to move DOWN.  It's a zero-sum process.   Also Crown used to be the darling newcomer;  that has worn off and it seems now they're a favorite target. 

Heald þæt geleafa, mín broþor.

Even being a honk, realistic is realisitc. 

Langfæ alibban þe Coroune!

5 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

In the defense of honks I have crown over them still. But I wouldnt be mad if it happened once during the season 😉

You appear to be the only one. Lol.

11 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I concur. What really stands out to me musically is that those middle voices are ripping and screaming! MELLOS, wow! They are going to shine come August. That opening statement is lush. Some cacophony in Movements II & IV, tension and resolution too, delicacy in the ballad, some augmented time moments, range of tempos throughout, and still a bit of mystery surrounding the closer. I cannot wait to hear this in person at NightBEAT. Rain be darned!

Now I concur!  Klesch has always written tasty mello lines here and there but they are so front and center in these arrangements.  It's GLORIOUS!   The use of silence in the ballad is tremendous;  the contrast when the full ensemble enters and quickly diminuendos away --  it's just stunning musicianship on display.    

And the opening statement just drips MAJESTY.  How appropriate for the concept and this corps!  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Does the "anyone but Crown" crowd know something we don't know? I find it a little farfetched to place Blue Stars ahead of Crown considering 4 points separated them at finals last year, and considering Blue Stars hasn't beaten Crown since God knows when. I'm just trying to figure out where this thought process is coming from.

I'm not in THAT camp, but an audio clip I heard of Blue Stars sounds top 4 level good in the arc.

Blue Stars are going to be sounding elite, and "guarding" elite most likely. The percussion section is the question mark for Stars....

Of course, I also heard a BK clip that sounds top 7 level, so...

That's probably where the Blue Stars hype is coming from.   

2 minutes ago, DCIFan2022 said:

Great! Thanks for the Pacific Crest in there too.

7 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm not in THAT camp, but an audio clip I heard of Blue Stars sounds top 4 level good in the arc.

Blue Stars are going to be sounding elite, and "guarding" elite most likely. The percussion section is the question mark for Stars....

Of course, I also heard a BK clip that sounds top 7 level, so...

That's probably where the Blue Stars hype is coming from.   

I've seen the clip that you're speaking of, and while it does sound good in standstill, the fact is that EVERYONE sounds good in standstill. It's on the move that matters. Even in that standstill, I don't see where they sounded top 4. Top 6 for sure, but not top 4. They sound better than years past, I'll definitely give them that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I've seen the clip that you're speaking of, and while it does sound good in standstill, the fact is that EVERYONE sounds good in standstill. It's on the move that matters. Even in that standstill, I don't see where they sounded top 4. Top 6 for sure, but not top 4. They sound better than years past, I'll definitely give them that. 

I like 'em all, generally, including Crown. All I'm saying is that Blue Stars sound better than Cadets and right there with last year's top 4.

• Like 3