Phantom Regiment 2023

14 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Indeed.  This is why I stress "judgeable content".  When a corps has less "judgeable content" and gets more score for doing less, there is a disconnect to what this activity is all about.  The drastic differences in marching and ensemble playing times is VERY relevant to what should be getting looked into...VERY seriously.  It's pretty #### easy to clean less than more.  DCI should be looking into what competitive ice skating is doing or has done as regards to having some sort of base line.  You do more (all other factors being equal) you should be getting credit..and we are not seeing this to the extent some corps are doing a LOT more and not getting scored correctly.

the problem here is what you deem less many actually have more demand. running and running more then running more is just showing the same demand over and over. for close to 15 years BD has been bashed by many...myself even at times...for doing "less"...but they actually do MORE. they show you they can do something once, and do it #### well, then show you something else. so while a ton of "drill", is actually just the same skill again and again. in total, thats not as demanding

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If you make it cost points, the Corps will address it.  
edit:  Or, better yet, perform only 65% of the minimum show time, receive 65% of the performance fee.  

well, DCI has timing rules. and i'd imagine, if the show is undertime by 7/1, then penalties could come into play.

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Or, knowing their first performance date, the designers and instructors could teach the members the show in time to have a presentable product on opening night.  

this. 4+ weeks of spring training there really is no excuse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

What’s interesting about the current discussion is that the Regiment consistently puts out a full show at the season debut. Granted, many shows went under serious reconfiguration, but they brought a full show to the game from jump. Why isn’t that taken into consideration at the beginning of the season? Competitive inertia be darned.

well....as much as i loved their show last year....it was dirty. more can be less.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem here is what you deem less many actually have more demand. running and running more then running more is just showing the same demand over and over. for close to 15 years BD has been bashed by many...myself even at times...for doing "less"...but they actually do MORE. they show you they can do something once, and do it #### well, then show you something else. so while a ton of "drill", is actually just the same skill again and again. in total, thats not as demanding

I would beg to differ.  Less is usually less.  Playing 5 minutes ensemble vs 7-8 minutes ensemble is clearly less and critically MUCH easier to clean.  Drill is exposed and "judgeable content".  Again doing less "judgable content" even if done ###### well, is simply easier.  Running and running and running is about as hard as it gets, if you have ever marched and played a wind instrument that has a show that plays constantly.

I am not quite sure why you think this is a slight against BD.  No where in my posts have I said anything about BD.  Apparently you think it's obvious that it is and you feel compelled to defend them verses what I am saying?  That in itself speaks volumes and makes my point even further FWIW. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....as much as i loved their show last year....it was dirty. more can be less.

Where as less is simply less.......

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

These arguments always basically boil down to "I prefer A to B, so A should be rewarded compared to B."

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

These arguments always basically boil down to "I prefer A to B, so A should be rewarded compared to B."

Essentially this.  This is why some sort of "compulsory" metric needs to be implemented.  If it requires a timing judge(s) so be it.  Perhaps even delaying scores and using a video taped ala "instant replay" to go over these minimum timers or "compulsory" show requirements.  Hey, we are supposed to be looking forward right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I would beg to differ.  Less is usually less.  Playing 5 minutes ensemble vs 7-8 minutes ensemble is clearly less and critically MUCH easier to clean.  Drill is exposed and "judgeable content".  Again doing less "judgable content" even if done ###### well, is simply easier.  Running and running and running is about as hard as it gets, if you have ever marched and played a wind instrument that has a show that plays constantly.

I am not quite sure why you think this is a slight against BD.  No where in my posts have I said anything about BD.  Apparently you think it's obvious that it is and you feel compelled to defend them verses what I am saying?  That in itself speaks volumes and makes my point even further FWIW. 

You can beg or plead. I’m not wrong. Achievement drives the bus. The more achieved with clarity, the more demand goes up. Great you’re hauling ### half the show. But if it’s not clean, am I the judge supposed to give you points just cause you tried, even if you don’t achieve? No. There’s no compulsory factor in drum corps for a reason. You hear complaints now of how much is the same…..you make compulsories required Oy vey!

so no running and not being clean isn’t demand. It’s bad design and instruction because it’s not clean. A judge should not reward it just cause

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Where as less is simply less.......

Less is in the eye of the beer holder