Phantom Regiment 2023

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. They’ve been outperforming our expectations all season. Give them a little space. Seems like they’re trying to figure out how best to end the show. 

16 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Add to that a wet field with tarps on top.

Slip 'n Slides, check...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PRomoter said:

No score movement tonight. 

2 hours ago, old drmmjr said:

Which is a real head scratcher since they finished in the rain last night. Very little score movement for BS also. 

2 hours ago, regimentlvr said:

I am shocked and concerned. They were terrific tonight. Others are growing their scores. 

There were a few things that didn't just go right tonight, and it sadly it seemed mostly just bad luck. While I feel that the emotion put into the show at SoS was a lot more with it being home show, I did see a hip skirt pulled free, a crucial dropped flag, and the in moment where the two flags are thrown to cross each other ended in a collision.

But at least it seemed like we didn't lose a shoe and have multiple dropped rifles like BS did...

11 hours ago, SJugster said:

GE went up and Music went down... interesting

That should happen. Shows should be judged based on any given night. When this happens it builds confifence in the judging system.

• Like 1

Part of that music going down was the percussion judge throwing shade on everyone.  She came in opting for a scores recalibration and while intervals between corps were about the same, scores were lower than the previous night across the board.  I can't imagine "everyone was that much worse" when it's explainable that "my numbers management was just lower."  If it's consistently applied within the same show, it's fine.  but it's one of the things that make comparing scores from show to show or across shows complicated.  

Yeah, don’t put too much thought into one competition’s scores. All is well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, college-phan said:

Yeah, don’t put too much thought into one competition’s scores. All is well

This. 

22 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think hardcore dci fans have a weird perspective on these things. For most people, the changes aren't unsettling because there aren't any changes for them. For these people, it is their first and possibly only viewing of the show

Familiarity with a product is a "weird perspective"?

This perspective is similar in almost every activity from football to soccer to ballet, dancing, and cheer.

When you follow something, you follow it. Catering to the lowest common denominator (people who come for only one show in this example) is one of the most destructive things happening to society. It makes things bland and boring.

Apparently, we're both splitting hairs here though, so carry on.

Edited by jjeffeory

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Familiarity with a product is a "weird perspective"?

This perspective is similar in almost every activity from football to soccer to ballet, dancing, and cheer.

When you follow something, you follow it. Catering to the lowest common denominator (people who come for only one show in this example) is one of the most destructive things happening to society. It makes things bland and boring.

Apparently, we're both splitting hairs here though, so carry on.

If you see the vast majority of people as “the lowest common denominator,” then yikes.