Phantom Regiment 2023

1 hour ago, college-phan said:

Almost completely off-topic, but here’s something pretty cool to jam out to while you wait for Phantom’s performance tonight:

The sound of G horns is so unique.

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

2003 was actually Phantom’s first year on Bb! Pretty sure that was also their first year with King horns

• Like 2

Just now, college-phan said:

2003 was actually Phantom’s first year on Bb! Pretty sure that was also their first year with King horns

I stand corrected.  I like this version better than 2021?

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

But you're not wrong. G Horns do have a unique sound. And I can personally share this...as someone who has synsethesia, they also have a bit different of a color to their sound as well. Hard to explain.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

Does anyone know if there are any changes to come or was last night the final package of the show?

I am really hoping we can do whatever is necessary to capture the 5th spot. Overall I am surprised that music is hurting our scores with the staff that we have. 

Last night wasn’t the best run, so I’m taking the fact they were only down by .150 as a pretty good thing. Music scores are a bit of a question mark, but I think a more energetic run could do them a lot of favors in raising them. Last night was just a little lethargic.

To answer your question though, I’m pretty sure there a few other embellishments on the way to push them over the edge in Indy. Think something like the red banner things they pulled out at Indy last year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, regimentlvr said:

Does anyone know if there are any changes to come or was last night the final package of the show?

I am really hoping we can do whatever is necessary to capture the 5th spot. Overall I am surprised that music is hurting our scores with the staff that we have. 

One thing for sure, the staff does not leave all their cards on the table at Allentown. Go get ‘em Regiment!

2 hours ago, regimentlvr said:

I'm a visual designer for high school bands, and I've been on both sides of . 1 and . 05 differences multiple times, deciding making/missing finals or winning a class championship. It's interesting how you feel based on which side you're on. I think I'm handling it better as age, but maybe not. Anyway... 

Let's face it, Regiment, Mandarins and Cadets are a tight 5/6/7 (Cavies are a long shot, dark horse). Over the next week, their placements are likely to vary.

Most people reading this thread, including me, would like Regiment to place as high as possible, but wherever they end up, I'll suggest that hopefully people won't think of this season differently.

The corps has taken a step forward, and it's been great to see. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

One thing for sure, the staff does not leave all their cards on the table at Allentown. Go get ‘em Regiment!

I'm sure they still have one more trick up their sleeve. 

The leg kickout was the most predictable and obvious add to get the crowd to jump out of their seats, but I am not a fan seeing it with white pants on a white tarp and one of their speakers front n center of it all. Wish they thought that through better.

Edited by CAtenhut

17 minutes ago, billj said:

Most people reading this thread, including me, would like Regiment to place as high as possible, but wherever they end up, I'll suggest that hopefully people won't think of this season differently.

Yeah this is my biggest take away from this season. They could end up in 5th, they could end up in 7th. This is still a huge step forward that will set them up to compete at the elite level for the foreseeable future.

If there is any issue with this show, and I don’t think you can call it an issue, it’s just that the design staff wasn’t sure how talented the membership was and played it safe. That’s a very reasonable strategy too, considering it’s a fairly young corps. Also, I think we forget they completely switched marching techniques this season (which I think played a large part in the visual design for this 2023 show).

Whatever happens this year, I see Phantom coming out for blood next season with a veteran membership, a difficult visual program, and a beefy brass book. If they build as I expect they will, they’re just going to fill the space that SCV left behind. They legitimately have the design staff to win a championship, it’s just all about ramping up to that point.

• Like 2