Blue Devils in the Details 2023

Can’t believe BD played 3x this weekend and I only got to watch one … Flo needs to meet me on the playground after school for this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Can’t believe BD played 3x this weekend and I only got to watch one … Flo needs to meet me on the playground after school for this. 

In a few years, after BD has really proven they have staying power to compete with the big kids, maybe Flo will stream more of their shows.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

a lot to talk about with those dang devils this year! love the music selection, super energetic and fun. loving the drumset player as always, super talented and smart on that kit. hornline sounds pretty good as a whole but there's some... moments.... we'll address that later.

it has been said in the past that nobody moves like the blue devils do and that certainly applies this season. super clean drill and choreo. loving the prop usage as well, fits the show theme well. biggest visual gripe is guard, especially when spinning rifle. inconsistent toss heights, prepping at seemingly random times for said tosses, just strange. obviously im not in the bd guard so i cant say wether or not its intentional, but it looks pretty unappealing.

quick drumline appreciation. super clean line, sounds fantastic and moves awesome. perfect spacing between each drum, and those are some of the tightest bass splits ive heard, and its still early july. will be hard to top this line in indy i bet. 

and finally, lets address the horns. as a group, they are in tune, they sustain well, no gaps. they must clean their articulations. seriously, during the low brass feature in the beginning there is some unbelievable slop in the articulations. not sure if its just because it's low brass but its insane. also, as a slight aside, i wish they didnt throw some poor trumpet player to solo one thousand lines above the staff in the ballad, at least not until the soloist can play it cleaner. unfortunately i feel it detracts a lot from the ballad where theres these beautiful chords and moving lines, and then a screaming high trumpet trying to stay afloat, it just doesn't fit i feel. one of those blue devils things they do every year that i just cant get behind. 

Edited by Ashontheinternet
spelling
  • Like 2

Man, when I think of the grueling heat BD and the other corps had to perform in last night and still give it their all…I am even more impressed. I hope everyone stayed hydrated yesterday and is doing well today!

• Like 9

BD def got progressively better over those 3 days from what I saw … They are really starting to own this show, 

Every BD iteration has talented members but there’s something special about this group IMO. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

BD def got progressively better over those 3 days from what I saw … They are really starting to own this show, 

Every BD iteration has talented members but there’s something special about this group IMO. 

I’m not a drummer but that line is SO talented. Reminds me of those lines in the mid 90s. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I’m not a drummer but that line is SO talented. Reminds me of those lines in the mid 90s. 

I said this the other day, but this is the best BD battery since 2015. 

Absolute threat to win the Sanford this year. 

• Like 6