Blue Devils in the Details 2023

They ate. 

• Like 3

Just had my first look at BD 2023. Holy moly, my jaw is on the floor now.

• Like 6

On 7/6/2023 at 7:07 PM, NewArpege said:

Crowns....

I can only say one thing here cause I haven't seen BD in full yet but I know them as well as a Vanguard alum can.

Crown's movement technique in the guard alone won't be able to hold a candle to the BD guard's. That is assuming BD didn't just lose their historical mastery of jazz techniques since last season.

They can spin, that's for sure, but the movement technique makes them look inexperienced without equipment in their hands.

BD are the legacy masters of movement technique in our activity. If there are any other tells regarding Crown's weaknesses, then they have a lot to catch up on if they want to unseat BD. Boston is only slightly better than Crown in this department. I guess the overall point allotment here will work to Boston and Crown's advantage, maybe, but their members' bodies will feel it later in life if they don't clean up that technique.

BD has never had that problem. Not a single time I've looked.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I can only say one thing here cause I haven't seen BD in full yet but I know them as well as a Vanguard alum can.

Crown's movement technique in the guard alone won't be able to hold a candle to the BD guard's. That is assuming BD didn't just lose their historical mastery of jazz techniques since last season.

They can spin, that's for sure, but the movement technique makes them look inexperienced without equipment in their hands.

BD are the legacy masters of movement technique in our activity. If there are any other tells regarding Crown's weaknesses, then they have a lot to catch up on if they want to unseat BD. Boston is only slightly better than Crown in this department. I guess the overall point allotment here will work to Boston and Crown's advantage, maybe, but their members' bodies will feel it later in life if they don't clean up that technique.

BD has never had that problem. Not a single time I've looked.

Oh the movement technique is still there, no worries. Plus they've now added the hardest technical equipment work they've ever done on top of it, and achieving more of it early in the season than at any time in recent memory. They also have the advantage of a joy-filled show. Look out!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've finally been able to get a decent recording of BD to watch. Plain and simple. They are so good. This show is good. That's that. They're so good at what they do. I still have no idea how they brain wash the performers to move in the exact same fashion as everyone else. I mean their flutter steps, their body visuals. Same technique, same style, completely recognizable from performer to performer. Just outstanding. Guard is performing super well. I don't know that the content is up to Boston's standards, but the performance is exceeding Boston. 

I'm not sold on the second uniform. Of course I was watching a multi cam recording so obviously I missed a lot due to that, but I'm not seeing the motivation for the second uniform nor do I currently think it's necessary. I'll probably get it once I see it live. 

Just caught my first BD recipe as well. Exactly what I expected except...

Devs, I caught some of your guard with turned in landing feet and not-pointed gesture feet. Thinking also that some of the choreo is unfinished which is all good at this stage.

But an ensemble arial, solid synchronicity, and overall achievement means your spot is secure in the movement tech arena compared to your peers, as usual. Was just surprised, given I was so complementary just earlier today. I have eyes like a hawk tho. 

Clean it up and you're golden.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I'm not sold on the second uniform. Of course I was watching a multi cam recording so obviously I missed a lot due to that, but I'm not seeing the motivation for the second uniform nor do I currently think it's necessary. I'll probably get it once I see it live. 

I imagine they will have a video that explains the significance of the uniform eventually, but my take is the earlier part of the show is Matisse experimenting with the cut-out technique as a way to create during infirmity.

The second part, and the colorful coats, represents his full embrace of the style he created, and those are covered with the organic shapes most identified with his cut-out period. As are the silks. It’s just everywhere like he is fully living the moment at the conclusion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1